Battery charging questions

/ Battery charging questions
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yes it's normal, I have a battery tender on my 790 John Deer tractor and it charges after it has been running. It goes off within an hour.
mainiak1 )</font>

Oh, interesting.. mine took more than an hour before it was back to a solid green light.. but it's good to know that I'm not the only one. I'll just run it for a while and see what happens. Next time I fire it up, I'll also see what voltages I'm seeing at the battery terminals.. but it must be charging to some extent or that old battery should have died a year or so ago...

Thanks,
Bob

/ Battery charging questions #52  
Hi Trev,

My Battery Tenders always show red when hooking them up after running any of my vehicles. I have not noticed how long it takes to change from red to green though. I've had the one on my T-bird for about 4 years and have yet to have the car fail to turn over briskly.

Jeff

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi Trev,

My Battery Tenders always show red when hooking them up after running any of my vehicles. I have not noticed how long it takes to change from red to green though. I've had the one on my T-bird for about 4 years and have yet to have the car fail to turn over briskly. )</font>

Thanks, Jeff... good to know!

Bob
Jeff

/ Battery charging questions #54  
Bob,
It's easy to see current flow, even you don't exactly know amount of Amperes.

Connect your + (red) measuring stick on minus (-) pole on battery, and - (black) measuring stick on end of grounding cable (where it is bolted to tractor chassis). Then set your digital multimeter (DMM) on DC mV range.

Turn lights on - DMM will show (-)XXX mV, because you draining battery. (If differet, replace places of sticks).

Then start engine. Check on idle, and then on higher rpm. Normally in both cases, it should be (+)YYY mV on display.

As you don't know resistance value of grounding cable, you can't measure exact amperage, but it will help you to troubleshoot failure in charging circuit. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Voltage of good, full charged battery is about 12.4-12.6V, before starting engine and with no load.
When you start engine, voltage must increase up to 14.4V, with no load, as Bird mentioned before.

Hope this helps,

ZJ

Thanks ZJ, and welcome to the forum!

Yes, that helped!

Bob

/ Battery charging questions #56  
Bob,
Thanks for welcome. Tractors and farm machinery is my big "love".
I have some experience with tractors electrics, like repairing alternators, starters etc, so if you need some help, drop me a message. I'll be glad to share my knowledge to help you or somebody else. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ZJ