Battery Fence Charger

/ Battery Fence Charger #1  

Alan W.

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650 & Bobcat 763G & Craftsman DGS6500
Can someone tell me a good battery powered fence charger. I have had 2 from Southern States die on me in the last year and half. I am hoping to use one battery powered but ifn there are no good ones I will run electric out to the fence.
If electric is the best choice what brand and model.
Now I am only using it to keep critters from the garden and chicken run, but in the future I will be having some larger animals to keep in.
Keep in mind I dont want to fry my chickens😵

/ Battery Fence Charger #2  
Tell you a sad story here - Alan. I used electric - battery powered - fencers for about a mile of electric fence. I got mine at local Ace Hardware and on a couple they actually lasted two years. I think they all had a bad case of - engineered obsolescence.

So I finally went to a web site that evaluates these and I ended up with a Parmack Magnum. It was right around $225. Its got a solar panel that recharges the battery - so its great for any really remote location. You might want one of their lighter powered units - this one is likely to fry your chickens.

/ Battery Fence Charger
oosik I looked at one TSC sells, did not appear to be small critter safe but looked like it would keep elephants in and had a 3 year warranty.
Is it too much to ask for one to shick good and last more than a year

/ Battery Fence Charger #4  
Cyclops electric fence chargers

/ Battery Fence Charger #5  
I have 4 Parmaks. Have used them for years. Only issue is that batteries have to be replaced every 4 - 5 years. Batterysharks.com has the batteries for $16.70. That's about one third of the price of a Parmak branded battery and lasts just as long.

/ Battery Fence Charger #6  
I have a Patriot charger that I bought about ten years ago and has been in continuous use for about five years, no problems. It's knocked me on my *** a few times. I have it hooked up to a battery and then a "Battery Tender" charger keeps the battery charged. We lose power fairly often and the setup keeps the fences on even when the power's out.

/ Battery Fence Charger #7  
oosik I looked at one TSC sells, did not appear to be small critter safe but looked like it would keep elephants in and had a 3 year warranty.
Is it too much to ask for one to shick good and last more than a year

This might help: <a href="http://www.zarebasystems.com/learning-center/animal-selector/poultry-chickens-turkeys"></a>

/ Battery Fence Charger
Thanks all for the input. I am looking over the various specs prices and warranty. The unit I have started working again. Usually means its on borrowed time.
The unit is a Parmak sold inder the Southern States label. First one died after moisture got to it some how. Replaced under warranty. Even with a good ground in damp soil, I have never seen a chicken get shocked by it or the one it replaced.

/ Battery Fence Charger #9  
Personally, I like fried chicken. :licking:

/ Battery Fence Charger #10  
My wife has been talking about expanding pasture for the horses and the prospective sites don't have power nearby. I've been looking at the various solar-powered/battery units. Here is a review I found (I was a bit perturbed at how many have water leakage or condensation issues):
Best Electric & Solar Fence Chargers (September 218) - Buyer`s Guide Note that they don't talk about battery life, which was the OP's original complaint. By the way, if you really want to fry the chickens, it looks like the 32 joule Taylor Cyclops is the way to go!

Gallagher I can buy locally, or order a Parmak or Zareeba...now, I just have to decide.