Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017)

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #261  
That's a lot of battery. Our 18" Kobalt came with a 5 Ah battery and the mower a 6 Ah battery.

Brand different seems to be small as most seem to share sources.

My choice of words were not as clear as they should be. The EGo chainsaw came with a 5.0AH 56V battery. I bought the backpack blower primarily for its 7.5AH 56V battery. All EGo batteries work on all EGo tools so if need be I can use the 7.5 on the chainsaw.

Previously borrowed an EGo 14" chainsaw and found much less power when using a 2.0AH battery. Was surprised because that battery will power my 21" SP mower for about 10 minutes with no noticeable loss of power.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #262  
   / Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #263  
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I was really leaning toward the Milwaukee until the reviews on it kept being consistently poor. I realize the reviews may not give a true 'real world' picture so it's good to hear even second hand that someone with a Milwaukee battery saw actually likes it but feels it could be under powered.

I am now leaning toward the Stihl if I ever decide to take a plunge into a battery saw. Kobalt hasn't been reviewed enough as far as what Ive seen but they are second just because I already have the charger for the mower. I would have preferred the Stihl mower but it's never discounted and regular price would make it almost 3x what I paid for the Kobalt.

Interesting, The reviews I've seen on the Milwaukee chainsaw are consistently good. Including comments by two local friends who own them. One let me try it with tMilwaukee's 12 AH high output battery. I'd estimate it cuts about like one of the better 40cc gas saws.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #264  
Interesting, The reviews I've seen on the Milwaukee chainsaw are consistently good. Including comments by two local friends who own them. One let me try it with tMilwaukee's 12 AH high output battery. I'd estimate it cuts about like one of the better 40cc gas saws.

Do you think that bigger battery gave the saw greater torque or power and made it operate better or that it just had longer capacity to keep it going a longer length of time?
I have been using the Milwaukee FUEL Brushless 18V Recip saw lately and I have a 2.0 AH battery and a couple 5.0 AH batteries that seem to perform the same in the saw except the 5.0 batteries just last longer.

Wondering if the 'high output' battery has an advantage.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #265  

I have had zero thoughts that the Milwaukee chainsaw is under powered. It cuts what I ask it to cut, so far. The only issue I have with it is the fact that the chain comes off the bar too easily in my opinion, so you have to try extra hard not to let it get pinched or prodded from the side (if you're cutting through some dense brush).

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #266  
Do you think that bigger battery gave the saw greater torque or power and made it operate better or that it just had longer capacity to keep it going a longer length of time?
I have been using the Milwaukee FUEL Brushless 18V Recip saw lately and I have a 2.0 AH battery and a couple 5.0 AH batteries that seem to perform the same in the saw except the 5.0 batteries just last longer.

Before buying an EGo 18" I borrowed a 14" (16" and 14" have same smaller motor than the new 18"). Tried my 2.0AH battery in the 14" and was disappointed. Then used the 5.0AH it came with and was satisfied.

Was surprised because the 2.0AH battery will run my 21" SP mower at full power for at least 10 minutes.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #267  

I can only compare my Milwaukee saw to my Poulan 38cc 16inch( I just consider my self a DIY person now so I dont need more than the 16 inch) saw and the Milwaukee has more power and spins faster. I am only using the 5amp battery as well. In most reviews the only issue with the Milwaukee was the power end of the bar clogs easy. I also had the Husvarnas for a few years way back and no-a battery operated chainsaw cannot compare to them no matter who puts its name on it-at least not yet.

I am a person who loves to get the best bang for his buck and thats why I got the Milwaukee. It may not be the best of the best but its a great saw and the battery system shares with so many other great Milwaukee power tools I own that are top quality. I only have three M18 batteries now for over years and they are still going strong.

If the Chainsaw is your only battery operated tool or you dont mind having a garage full of chargers and different batteries to maintain then the Sthil and Husqvarna are the right ones for you. I was a logger for a short 3 years in Northern Maine, had 6 expensive Husqvarna pro saws and I dont see enough of a difference to go with the professional saw company name brand battery saws. Did you know that the Milwaukee has the Oregon bar and chain?

Also because I have a 7kw solar panel on grid setup I have free unlimited fuel by charging them during peak solar hours.

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #269  

Yes, the high-output battery does result in extra torque on tools that can make use if it. In addition to having a higher capacity (the Amp-hour rating), it can also deliver that power at a higher rate. Not all tools need or can make use of the higher rate, but for the ones that do, you will see a noticeable difference. In Milwaukee lingo, High capacity has to do with how long a battery will last a a given current draw. High Output has to do with the maximum rate at which it can deliver the power to the tool. That higher output results in more torque for tools that can make use of it. The original 2.0, 3.0, and 5.0 AH batteries are not "High Output". Their may be slight differences in their output rate (I'm not sure about that), but basically what you are getting is longer lasting. The High output models

The chainsaw is one that can make use of the higher available current. Someone did a Youtube video a while back using a Milwaukee saw with various battery sizes and outputs. There was a noticeable difference in cutting speed when the put on the high output batteries.

I don't now whether your recip saw can take advantage of that or not (I also own the M18 fuel recip saw, but don't use it much, so haven't tried it with my high output batteries.)

/ Battery powered chainsaw recommendations? (2017) #270  
Yes, the high-output battery does result in extra torque on tools that can make use if it. In addition to having a higher capacity (the Amp-hour rating), it can also deliver that power at a higher rate. Not all tools need or can make use of the higher rate, but for the ones that do, you will see a noticeable difference. In Milwaukee lingo, High capacity has to do with how long a battery will last a a given current draw. High Output has to do with the maximum rate at which it can deliver the power to the tool. That higher output results in more torque for tools that can make use of it. The original 2.0, 3.0, and 5.0 AH batteries are not "High Output". Their may be slight differences in their output rate (I'm not sure about that), but basically what you are getting is longer lasting. The High output models

The chainsaw is one that can make use of the higher available current. Someone did a Youtube video a while back using a Milwaukee saw with various battery sizes and outputs. There was a noticeable difference in cutting speed when the put on the high output batteries.

I don't now whether your recip saw can take advantage of that or not (I also own the M18 fuel recip saw, but don't use it much, so haven't tried it with my high output batteries.)

That is new info to me! Thanks! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure "High Output" would be needed on the saw I have. It's pretty dang strong with a regular 5.0 AH battery.

The Chainsaw, Trimmer, etc probably would benefit. I am well pleased with the Milwaukee tools I have.