Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #91  
The newer Lithium batteries are not affected by the cold,the old nicads are.Oddly you are not supposed to store them fully charged.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #92  
No fuel lines to replace, and no carb to foul up, And, I won't have to start it up and run once a month just to keep the gasoline from going bad, or gumming up the carb
But they do have switches, wires, contacts and motors that can get fouled up. The 40V line trimmer I got with this package is acting up as if something is loose inside. Works sometimes, not always. HD and Ryobi both want to make a production out of replacing it since it was part of the 5 tool kit instead of a stand alone purchase. I may try looking at it myself if it keeps up.

Well, there's your answer... especially as you already have (at least one) Ryobi battery. Which means that you've already got a Ryobi battery charger.
I have a number of their tools, drills, blowers, saws, etc. with interchangeable batteries and chargers. Those are all 18V and the yard tools are all 40V ... not compatible. But with the kit, I got 4 batteries and two chargers.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #93  
At the end of the day I charge if 1/2 or less which means full batteries sitting around...

Last edited:
   / Battery powered chainsaw #94  
It looks like at least some chaps may protect against battery saw cuts: Battery Powered Chainsaws and Chaps

It'd be great if ANSI or whatever government agency tests and approves chaps would test them with battery saws.

I wonder if the caution about electric saws and chaps was aimed more at AC powered electric saws that maybe did not have the overload protection mentioned in one of the videos in the above linked thread.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #96  
Those who don't need chaps should be shopping for legs, fingers and/or feet. Since 50% of saw cuts seen at ER's are above your belt, I also sport a Kevlar shirt.

Arlyn,,, battery powered or not,,, A

/ Battery powered chainsaw #97  
My wife loves her Stihl MSA-120 36v saw. Have had the power head replaced on warranty. Now has an oil leak from the oil chamber. May have to take it in for service. She's done an astonishing amount of work with it, virtually clearing our 8.5 acres of downed trees and invasives and does trail maintenance with it.

Its battery is only 2 Ah. Cuts 50 minutes straight cutting all the time. She has 3 batteries that she carries around: 1 on the saw and 2 in her back pack.

Gobbles oil. She keeps a container of it in her back pack, too.

About 6 months to a year ago, I bought a Ryobi 40v one because we have other Ryobi stuff that we love. She doesn't like it because it's a good 2-4 # heavier than her Stihl. Will take the 4 Ah battery to last longer, but we haven't used it that much to know how long. Also have higher Ah and one 2 Ah batteries, too. The higher Ah ones are used in the Ryobi self propelled "cross cut", gas-like, mower but could be used in the saw, making it even heavier (better to just let it sit and cut through a tree).

Never have any starting problems with battery powered stuff. Wife cannot start any gas engine except on the cars and pickup. When we had gas engined mowers, she needed one with a battery starter on it. No gas, oil, belts, spark plugs, air cleaners.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #98  
Christmas Tree season hard on gas saws... constantly starting and stopping for a 10 to 20 second cut...

When you move 3,000 trees that's a lot of start/stop.

Two Stihl AP saws replaced 4 Stihl MS180 saws nearly 100%

A huge extra benefit is lack of chainsaw roar for each cut and of course keeping gallons of fuel on hand.

Have to say once the guys were taught how to start the gas saws many problems went away like flooding and broken rope pulls.

Not all trees are small but above 16' tall are few...

/ Battery powered chainsaw
Those who don't need chaps should be shopping for legs, fingers and/or feet. Since 50% of saw cuts seen at ER's are above your belt, I also sport a Kevlar shirt.

Arlyn,,, battery powered or not,,, A
I'm more likely to turn the tractor over on me than to cut a limb with the chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #100  
I see a lot of different scenarios here.
Good to see so many views.
The start/stop is definitely a huge advantage for battery saws and they can also do a lot of the work of a gas saw.
It only seems that when you need speed, multi-day usage off site, or of really large hard woods, that the gas saw becomes a necessity.

How large is the largest bar battery chainsaw? Looks like 18", maybe 20" ?