Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #461  
Businesses and farms can opt in for time metered power
Lou, we have that on our HWH which is electric and on a separate meter but they can turn it off at will (never have that I know of) and the per KW rate is about half the normal rate.

Ever since the utility installed the 'smart meters', I've been worried, they can probably turn them off as well.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #462  
Higher voltage = lower current.
Lower voltage for the same power will require more current, which will require heavier wires and generate more heat, so yes, more voltage is better.
No, if you use bigger wires then the heat is the same. But then more current means greater magnetic field. Higher voltage lower current needs longer wires to generate the same magnetic field, upping the resistance. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

There is an advantage to 80V over 20V but it is not such an absolute advantage as marketing would have one believe.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #463  
Lou, we have that on our HWH which is electric and on a separate meter but they can turn it off at will (never have that I know of) and the per KW rate is about half the normal rate.

Ever since the utility installed the 'smart meters', I've been worried, they can probably turn them off as well.
I worked 3 years designing "smart meters" for a company that was too stupid to stay in business. They thought they could produce a "collar" to insert between existing meter and meter box, wouldn't eat the cost to develop the actual metering device.

And they wouldn't develop a communications backbone so their collars each contained a data cellphone. And then ethernet for another utility.

Anyway, their product had the option to disconnect power. But when the utility was asked to pay more for that option they only bought 50 or so out of 10,000 with the disconnect contactor.

The disconnect-capable collars were used on problem customers. We were told one remote disconnect the minute the bill was past due was all it took to get timely payments in the future.

In short I don't think very many smart meters have the ability to disconnect your power. The necessary contactor was $20 in 10,000 quantity 20 years ago.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #464  

Yes they can turn of the smart meter and your house will be without electricity.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #465  
Yes they can turn of the smart meter and your house will be without electricity.
For maybe 45 seconds tops. My diesel powered 27KW standby can assume the entire load (House, barns and shop) after a 30 second warm up and 15 seconds for the vacuum transfer switch to isolate the utility. It sips fuel from my 500 gallon bulk (ORD) tank. Power outages whether storm related or utility related don't concern me.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #466  
Anyone tried the new Ryobi 20 inch chainsaw with 8 ah battery. Ad claims to be more powerful than a 50 cc gas saw.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #467  
Said before, any saw is only as good as the chain is sharp. Most people I know don't know when a chain needs sharpening and if they do try to sharpen one, they usually screw it up.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #468  
Anyone tried the new Ryobi 20 inch chainsaw with 8 ah battery. Ad claims to be more powerful than a 50 cc gas saw.
I've not seen that one and not finding it in a quick search. Do you have a model number?

/ Battery powered chainsaw #469  
At Home Depot model RY405110 $479.00 40 volt, several times they have had it on sale for $379.00 also have it on Ryobi website for $379. for bare tool. Has good reviews if you can believe them

Last edited:
   / Battery powered chainsaw #470  
The issue with any battery operated tool, no matter what brand it is, is you have to use their proprietary batteries and that means you are 'married' to that line of battery operated tools unless you want to buy another brand and then their battery packs and chargers and that could get to be quite expensive.

I don't buy the blurb about cutting better than a 50cc gas saw. I'll put my Echo Timber Wolf up against any battery powered saw, anytime (running full chipper) not skip tooth chipper with a 20" bar. I bet I can cut more logs on one tank of canned fuel than the battery pack on that Ryobi lasts. Not counting bar oil which both saws require.