Battery question..

mbohuntr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1533
Today, the outside temp is in the single digits, garage is in the mid 20's. Tractor is two yrs old. always kept indoors. When I went to start it after several weeks of sitting in the 30's, it turned over hard. Here's the question... Would a battery tender help? or is the ambient temperature too cold for a good charge? I have a hose heater, but it is burned out right now and needs to be replaced. Thank all

AchingBack

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2615HST
I think a battery tender is essential. Here is the one I bought at Harbor Freight. I use it on my DR field and brush mower that gets very little use. It is much cheaper than replacing a battery that has been sitting idle. This is but one type. Were I to put one on by tractor battery, I would get permanently fastened extension cables to make it easier to connect. - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

OP
M

mbohuntr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1533
That's certainly cheap enough to give it a try... Thanks!

George2615

Tractor
LS XR3037HC
Hi Mike,
Get that lower inline hose replaced and yes the HF charger will keep it topped off. I bought 3 of them for various batteries. After replacing the heater plug it into a heavy duty appliance timer set a couple hours before you get home. No need to leave the heater plugged in all the time, it just runs up the electric bill.

OP
M

mbohuntr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1533
Thanks George, Funny thing is, I used it a little last year with a timer, (3-4 times) I plugged it in before xmas and left it on for about 2 hrs, went out to check it and start it and it was cold. Put a meter on it and had no continuity:mad: I don't know why it burned out, but I guess I need a new one.

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
I bought a trickle charger from Walmart that has clamps and quick disconnect terminals that bolt on to the battery terminal post bolts. The quick disconnect is long enough to leave the battery box and secure right above, under the floor deck on the right side. It is quick and easy to take on and off. I installed it when new and three years later, still keeping a full charge.
hugs, Brandi

OP
M

mbohuntr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1533
Thanks, As a matter of fact, I think I just bought that same wal-mart charger, it is a "Schumacher" 1.5 amp maintainer. It is plugged in and charging right now. I also ordered another Kats heater, If this one doesn't last, their gonna get a piece of my mind...

ragkar

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD2320 w/R4 $21,100 w/7.16%off
Have you tested the battery? My JD battery failed the load test after two years. If you don't have a tester, pull the battery and take it to any auto repair for testing. Load testing is much more authorative than terminal voltage or specific gravity tests.
Be sure that you clean the battery terminals and clamps before reinstalling it.
My approach is an electric battery warmer. J.C. Whitney has them.

Sergei

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2815 HST
Today I finally got around to permanently installing my Schumache 1.5 amp battery charger next to the battery so I'm not having to lift the hood anymore especially seen the tractor doesn't have a metal hood and we have some really cold Iowa winters.

Attachments

• img116.jpg
    img116.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 80