BCS 850 clutch issue

/ BCS 850 clutch issue #1  

ross0201

Tractor
John Deere 4600
I bought a BCS 850 with a frozen clutch. I freed it in a vice, got everything mounted back together and it seemed great, handle operated the clutch, things were good. I didn't run it because I didn't have a throttle cable. A few days later I got some parts form Earth Tools and replaced the boot over the clutch fork, put the throttle cable in. Since then (and I don't know if this did it or just sitting around was the problem) the fork doesn't seem to reach the clutch. It's like the clutch is moved too far towards the engine, or the pivot is too close to the transmission.

I can't seem to move the fork to a spot that works. The bearing has it's fork rests rotated to the bottom. I took the clutch out, back to the vice and it seems to work; put it back together and it's the same problem.

Any ideas what isn't lined up? Could something in the transmission be keeping the clutch engaged (cones separated)? I worked pretty hard to get them together. But the problem started without me taking stuff apart.

/ BCS 850 clutch issue #2  
I would look at the clutch spacing on the motor shaft. At about 45 sec in this video it shows how to make sure the clutch is in the proper position on the engine shaft:

4 1/2" from the face of the engine adapter to the front of the clutch forks.

I would also make sure that the forks are orientated in the proper direction. One the fork is in the proper direction and the clutch works properly with the engine assembled there should be no way for this to get out of position without removing the motor.

/ BCS 850 clutch issue
Thanks, I did sort it out but I'm not sure what the problem was. I loosened the nuts and separated the motor and transmission just a little, then tightened carefully.