BCS 850-clutch quit

/ BCS 850-clutch quit #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
Have a BCS 850, Honda motor. Been in use about 3 years, used very frequently. Was mowing this morning, clutched to change directions , and the clutch would not disengage. Cable is ok, the clutch just will not release. Can't see anything wrong, nothing unusual happened before it quit.
Where do I start looking? Pull the engine/ clutch? Can't do anything except think till at least Sunday.
Thanks

/ BCS 850-clutch quit #4  
Have a BCS 850, Honda motor. Been in use about 3 years, used very frequently. Was mowing this morning, clutched to change directions , and the clutch would not disengage. Cable is ok, the clutch just will not release. Can't see anything wrong, nothing unusual happened before it quit.
Where do I start looking? Pull the engine/ clutch? Can't do anything except think till at least Sunday.
Thanks

Amazing, my 732 just did the same thing.
Tilling between the potatoes, suddenly the clutch would not engage.
I blamed poor maintenance and removed the cable to lube it - not the problem. Removed the clutch pulley and the two brackets supporting it, then the rubber dust cover. Looks like something has jammed as the clutch 'arm' just flaps around.
I'll be watching this post closely and I'll post my findings with pics.
Good luck!

EDIT
Just found this PDF from Earth Tools:
https://earthtoolsbcs.com/pdf/Freeing_stuck_BCS_cone_clutch.pdf

Last edited:
   / BCS 850-clutch quit
Update: Got back home, was going to start looking, squeezed the clutch handle, popped loose, acting normal. Going to try mowing, but as of now, it fixed itself--weird, but good.
Thanks for the link, I had seen it in the past, and that was where I was headed. I knew it was not storage related, I alway leave the clutch disengaged.
Hope yours is as easy, Wes

/ BCS 850-clutch quit #6  
Update: Got back home, was going to start looking, squeezed the clutch handle, popped loose, acting normal. Going to try mowing, but as of now, it fixed itself--weird, but good.
Thanks for the link, I had seen it in the past, and that was where I was headed. I knew it was not storage related, I alway leave the clutch disengaged.
Hope yours is as easy, Wes

Hmm, that's odd, but glad to hear you are back in business.
Me - not so lucky. I didn't know about the clutch disengaging thing so I had to pull the clutch and free it. Only problem was that my crappy shop vise was only just big enough - a replacement is on the list. Took the opportunity to lube all the cables and moving parts.

Back to hilling the spuds.