BCS Model With Steering Brakes?

/ BCS Model With Steering Brakes? #1  

jtexfisher

Tractor
Newholland / Workmaster 33
Hello. I got a BCS 739 a few years back and recently added a flail mower. It's not horrible to use but it is a bit of a workout. I am curious if anyone has input about how much difference it is to use a mowing attachment with a tractor that has steering brakes.

Thanks all and happy gardening. :)

/ BCS Model With Steering Brakes? #2  
To be honest I've never used a 2wt without steering brakes, but I use them all the time when using the flail-mower, they help alot, same counts for the diff-lock.

/ BCS Model With Steering Brakes? #3  
I had a 5665 Gravely (12 hp). Absolutely could not handle it without steering brakes. Luckily, they were available for it, and a local dealer who used to handle Gravelys had a setup someone had actually removed from their Gravely. With the steering brakes, which on a Gravely were operated by a single bar in the middle, one could run it with one hand lightly on the steering bar.

Ralph

/ BCS Model With Steering Brakes? #4  
I started with a BCS 825, no steering brakes. Upgraded to a 850. I actually keep an extra set of brake cables so if one breaks, I can repair and get back to work. As in I would rather not run the machine without steering brakes. this time of year it is mostly mowing, either yard with the 40"Zanon or rough stuff with the flail. And a lot of my land is steep, so the brakes help keep me somewhat on the slope. I am a firm believer in the steering brakes.

/ BCS Model With Steering Brakes? #5  
I started with a BCS 825, no steering brakes. Upgraded to a 850. I actually keep an extra set of brake cables so if one breaks, I can repair and get back to work. As in I would rather not run the machine without steering brakes. this time of year it is mostly mowing, either yard with the 40"Zanon or rough stuff with the flail. And a lot of my land is steep, so the brakes help keep me somewhat on the slope. I am a firm believer in the steering brakes.

It sounds like you use the brakes more often than most. Have you ever needed to replace brake parts other than the cables?

/ BCS Model With Steering Brakes? #6  
Not yet. I do have to adjust them 3-4 times a year, lube the moving parts. It may be that at 64 I don't like to manhandle things quite as much as before.

/ BCS Model With Steering Brakes?
Not yet. I do have to adjust them 3-4 times a year, lube the moving parts. It may be that at 64 I don't like to manhandle things quite as much as before.
Exactly why I was asking! I'm catching up fast and for now life is ok....in a few years I might be wishing I had upgraded my 2w tractor when I still could.

/ BCS Model With Steering Brakes? #9  
Wow...this really shows someone using the brakes to mow a slope.

I hope that guy is using Deep Woods "OFF",,
I GUARANTEE there is a deer tick in there,, somewhere,, :confused:

:laughing: