Be careful changing filters SA series

/ Be careful changing filters SA series #1  

Scott440

Tractor
Yanmar SA 425
Just did 50 hour service. After I changed fluid, oil and Hyd and oil filters I got on and started and
after a few minutes I got off to check for leaks. The smaller Hyd filter was blowing oil all over. Leaked about
3 gallons out before I caught it. Like an idiot I should have checked for leaks immediately after starting. In the past I have changed
many car filters and garden filters and thought if they do leak they would only do a few drops that I could then fix. I removed the filter and reinstalled
the old one since I needed to use right away.
Found the gasket was broke in 2 places. Apparently the gasket came out of the filter grove when tightening it which is very hard to notice. An expensive mistake since I had to but another bucket of Mobil 424 around 90.00 at Tractor supply. The defective was in a Yanmar bag but do not think it was an original Yanmar filter and gasket fit loose in filter groove. So I guess the moral of this story is to check for leaks immediately after turning on and check your new filters for loose gaskets before installing. The only bright spot was it happened on my gravel driveway and tractor runs fine now so hopefully no damage. Now I have to get a new filter, quickly change, and deal with adding more fluid when removing original one.

/ Be careful changing filters SA series #2  
Well that sucks. If it's any consolation, even had you looked immediately there would still have been at least a gallon lost. I blew a hydraulic filter on my previous tractor, and like you waited a minute or so before looking underneath and lost a similar amount of oil.
In my case there was a TSB out from Kubota calling for the defective filter to be replaced in colder climates, but not in my state. We were in a very unusual cold spell at -5f and it cut loose.