Bear Trouble

/ Bear Trouble
We built a log cabin when we lived in Alaska. It was in black bear country. The cabin was up on sono tubes - so the bears could not reach the windows.

They left some mighty viscous claw marks on our door but never got in.

An old sourdough trick to slow the bears down. Half sheet of 1/2 in plywood. Air powered staple gun and a bucket load of staples. Shoot a staple thru the plywood on a 2" grid - over the entire sheet.

Turn it over so exposed staples are up. Put it right in front of the door. Put a sign on the door to let friendly visitors know of this situation.

This little trick totally stopped bears at our front door.

I found that many of the staples were bent over. There were bloody bear paw prints on the plywood also.

So I then went to 2 and a half inch and three inch trumpet head wood screws.

This solved the "bear at the door" problem for the six years we had the cabin.
I'll pass this "tip" along to my son in Markleeville Calif. The bear are a daily thing in his neighborhood.
Markleeville is just south of SLT.
I've been there, seen 'em . Yup, a daily thing. I can't imagine needing to be "Bear aware" every time you approach or leave your residence.

With that, A young black bear went though the backyard at our place a couple summers ago, and the bird feeder got pulled down only last spring.

"In a conflict between man and the beasts, I think I should side with the Bears"
I would say many Tahoe people agree…

Apparently there is quite an ongoing story about someone that came home to find a bear inside and emptied his pistol but didn’t kill the bear and it wandered off wounded and eventually put down… the homeowner is still fighting because it was his fault for blocking the bears egress…

From the sound of it Spike Strips are probably illegal too.

/ Bear Trouble #13  
"the officer said Black Bears only want food and you are not food..."

Not exactly true...if bear old worn teeth having hard time finding food person could put on bear to eat list.

Not sure about your wildlife laws,but if bear protected by the state does damages can you submit claim of some sort?

/ Bear Trouble #14  
It seems that to many people have put animals above human beings.
It is completely ridiculous the way some many things have gone.
Any time you have to give a critter free range to destroy stuff and possibly attack people,
it has gone way to far overboard.

/ Bear Trouble
The officer was not amused when I said would you let your 4 year old ride her tricycle in your fenced backyard having seen a bear go over the fence like it was not there? (Area around propane tank)

She said we are not talking about a child playing outside.

If the official count of 30 bears living in the city is true it’s clear they feel comfortable with city life.

Then again maybe “Bears” have each other’s back.

Animal control is not and does not respond to bear problems.

I learned Animal control sole purpose is limited to domesticated animals…

/ Bear Trouble #16  
How much is the penalty? Maybe offer to pay in advance and then get rid of the problem. What a sad world that has been created. Ridiculous

/ Bear Trouble #17  
The officer actually blamed us for leaving the home unoccupied for long periods...
Maybe true; however, it's not you individually to blame. That area has many unoccupied cabins. Hence, "Hank the Tank" and his other bear friends have had a long history of being tempted into unoccupied cabins. Many of your neighbors may not be as careful as you about removing food when they leave.

Recent fires are reported to be related to the uptick of bear activity. The nearby Caldor fire destroyed huge tracts of land-- land that used to support all kinds of wildlife. With nothing left to eat in those regions, they migrate elsewhere.

Our North CA property has 7 black bears-- based on trail camera pix. They almost never come near the residence. Only once, about 4 years ago, did one try to "test" our front door. But our elderly neighbors vacated their home, and within a month or two it was breached by a bear.

We have a dog that we walk frequently in the areas immediately surrounding the residence. He's a male so he likes to mark things-- I think that helps a lot with discouraging bear activity.

/ Bear Trouble #18  
You have to replace your front entry door anyway, it's time for a steel entry door. The frames that come with them are flimsy. You will need to reinforce the frame to the studs. There are a variety of ways. One is to add the long metal lockset reinforcing plates to the door frame.

/ Bear Trouble
I’m wondering if full reinforcement just means more damage?

As it is now it appears the door of 60 years just collapsed.

The 2x4 framing and adjacent windows ok as well as the latched screen door.

/ Bear Trouble #20  
The softwood frame that comes with prehung doors isn't very stout even against a human intruder kicking your door in.

You could buy a steel clad door without the frame and install it into your existing frame if you have good measuring and cutting skills to mark and cut the hinges and the lockset holes.

Your existing frame might be stronger than the softwood used on today's prehung doors.