Beavers !!!!!!!!

/ Beavers !!!!!!!! #81  
They wouldn't bother me if we could just come to an agreement on the pond level.

Yeah, bevers don't seem to have any sense of obligation to a home owner's "rules". Like yourself, I'm content to let them do their thing as their main dam is below the developed part of our property, however they insist on building, building, damming, damming until the water starts to back up over the leach field. Not good.

I've torn a hold in their dam with the backhoe. Anyone who knows beavers understands that this just represents a challenge to them. I actually think they're excited to have an overnight project. Next morning, you never would have known the dam was compromised.

beavera.jpg

They love the Poplar trees around their dam but now that they've cut most of the down they don't seem to be too fussy about what's next on their list. Lots of brush as well as full sized apple trees even. But there's one tree I think, hopefully, they've given up on:

beaverb.jpg

/ Beavers !!!!!!!! #82  
I had beavers on some property I owned last century. Told the story more than once on TBN. :mad: :)

Bottom line was that the beavers were killing trees, some over a century old, and flooding out a major part of the property. They had to go. Long story short, and it was mentioned a bit up thread, is to put in a pond leveler. This is what eventually removed the beavers.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/assistance/backyard/privatelandhabitat/clemson_beaver_pond_leveler.pdf

If the habitat is good for beavers, killing them just makes the problem go away for a time, eventually, more will return. The pond leveler keeps the beavers from staying.

In NC, it is ILLEGAL to trap and move a live beaver, it just passes the problem on to someone else.

I have a book on Indian recipes, and no, Warren's Italian dish is not shown, but there is one for beaver tail. Supposed to be a delicacy, however, if I remember right, you had to boil the tail for many, many hours. Lewis and Clarke were supposed to have like a bit of beaver.

Later,
Dan