Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #141  
Interestingly, I have always been told and have read that Ford chose International to be their diesel engine supplier because International had so much more capacity to manufacture engines, about 3 times as much as GM and Cummins. Had Cummins been able to supply the numbers Ford demanded. . . . .

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #142  
Strangely enough, I really liked the '96 Chevy 1/2 ton with the 6.5 turbo diesel I had. I think I had some problem with the injector pump (?) or something like that, but it was covered under warranty. Otherwise the truck had very reasonable power for a half ton and I got respectable MPGs. At the time I frequently towed a trailer that weighed about 6k loaded and the truck pulled it wonderfully. I guess not everybody had the reliability out of their 6.5 GM diesel I did. I heard a lot of people complain about it but I loved the one I had; especially in the 1/2 ton truck. Since I drove it quite a bit I enjoyed the softer suspension of the 1/2 ton as compared to the ride of a 1 ton pickup I also had (that was the 1 ton Cummins powered dually Dodge I had forever).

I too loved my 6.5 but I think Diamond was referring to the even earlier GM diesels that where made out of a gas engine block

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #143  
Strangely enough, I really liked the '96 Chevy 1/2 ton with the 6.5 turbo diesel I had. I think I had some problem with the injector pump (?) or something like that, but it was covered under warranty. Otherwise the truck had very reasonable power for a half ton and I got respectable MPGs. At the time I frequently towed a trailer that weighed about 6k loaded and the truck pulled it wonderfully. I guess not everybody had the reliability out of their 6.5 GM diesel I did. I heard a lot of people complain about it but I loved the one I had; especially in the 1/2 ton truck. Since I drove it quite a bit I enjoyed the softer suspension of the 1/2 ton as compared to the ride of a 1 ton pickup I also had (that was the 1 ton Cummins powered dually Dodge I had forever).

My uncle still has a cherry late 90's 2500 2 wheel drive Diesel Suburban. He really loves it but it has had 2 injector pumps in the 120,000 miles he has on it. He has had a few other problems like the power steering and brakes, which are one in the same on this era GM Diesel. He only uses it for one purpose, to tow his 8,000# boat and does a good job at that except on wet ramps. I have towed him up probably 5 times and know a few others who have also. He has told me a number of times when either the boat or the Suburban dies he will give up boating.

Chris

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #144  
To get market share. You have to admit Ford Diesels ruled the roost for a long time and the GM diesels of yesterday left a bad taste in a lot of mouths. When GM acquired Isuzu they were able to get a Diesel to compete. Now all they had to do was win buyers over, and a warranty was the best way.

Warranty lured me over but not for long. Yes it was good piece of mind but a constantly broken truck was not. 1 year later I was back where I started.

Chris

Yes, we know.

I wasn't talking about engine warranty. I was talking about drivetrain warranty, not just engine.

I think GM's longer warranty than the others on tranny & rear show GM's confidence in their product.

BTW: GM is a majority shareholder in Isuzu. GM & Isuzu collaborated together on the Duramax design & manufacturing under DMAX ltd.. GM later traded some of its' Isuzu shares back to Isuzu for exclusive ownership of DMAX ltd.

Now GM is the only one who manufactures their own diesel. Ford & DC don't.

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #145  
Yes, we know.

I wasn't talking about engine warranty. I was talking about drivetrain warranty, not just engine.

I think GM's longer warranty than the others on tranny & rear show GM's confidence in their product.

BTW: GM is a majority shareholder in Isuzu. GM & Isuzu collaborated together on the Duramax design & manufacturing under DMAX ltd.. GM later traded some of its' Isuzu shares back to Isuzu for exclusive ownership of DMAX ltd.

And they sold Allison IIRC

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #146  
And they sold Allison IIRC

Not the 2 plants that manufacture the Allisons for the 2500-5500 HD. GM sold off the heavy transmission division for obvious reasons-impending bankruptcy.

It really makes no difference if they own them or not. Just the fact that they use them tells me they're serious about using serious truck transmissions and giving them a warranty commensurate with one.

Kudos to Dodge too for offering an Aisin 6 speed manually shiftable commercial transmission in their chassis trucks, too.

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #147  
I too loved my 6.5 but I think Diamond was referring to the even earlier GM diesels that where made out of a gas engine block

Yes, I agree. I was just pointing out that I had what I considered good service out of one of the GM diesels that generally wasn't known as being particularly good. The Olds etc. fiasco of the 80's where, as you mentioned, they converted gas engines to diesel was just plain pathetic. I'm not aware of anyone who ended up pleased with one of those.

On a side note, 6 Chrysler dealers in my immediate area received the news today that they were losing their Chrysler franchise. Tomorrow GM will start swinging their axe. Being that my main business is working with dealerships, this week has been and will continue to be painful.

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #148  

Ford will join the ranks of making their own diesel engine next year if I'm not mistaken. Whether it proves out to be good or not is yet to be seen. Either way, it doesn't look good for Ford when the 6.4 diesel had a lifespan of, what, two model years? It was basically obsolete and already dropped when it hit the market.

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #149  
Ford will join the ranks of making their own diesel engine next year if I'm not mistaken. Whether it proves out to be good or not is yet to be seen. Either way, it doesn't look good for Ford when the 6.4 diesel had a lifespan of, what, two model years? It was basically obsolete and already dropped when it hit the market.

Yes, that's why I walked....actually ran, from Ford when I needed a new truck 2 years ago. Ford changes stuff too often. I can't be good to buy a new 6.4L powered Ford. You're buying an obsolete truck.

Rumor has it that Ford may be collaborating with Peugot to build their next diesel somewhere in Europe. That's the last I heard.

/ Beefing up half-ton for gooseneck #150  

The more I read about the 6.5, the more I understand that if used within its' limits, it was a better than average diesel.

How bad could it be if the military uses it in the HUMMVEE?