Beekeeping

/ Beekeeping #133  
Pictures please!

I'll post up a few. I think I did post some from the cutout last year? I love and hate cutouts. You don't know what you'll get. You don't know if you'll ever see the queen. Every time it's different. It could take an hour, or 8 hours... 😬

/ Beekeeping #134  
We got about an inch of rain last night. About .5", four days ago. Plenty of moisture now to get it above ground. This clay loam holds water like nothing else.

Before the rain.

IMG20240418193125.jpg

/ Beekeeping #136  
So I went to the house last night to consult with the owner regarding the cutout. It appeared the swarm was just moving in, they were still very unorganized and swarmy. I took a swarm trap with me, in case it was an easy scoop and run. I left the trap under the overhang where the bees were entering the house when I left. Today I got a video from the owner showing a lot of activity entering and exiting the trap. Wouldnt it be WILD if they changed their mind and just took up camp in my box? I’ll check back in a couple days, and I have doubts, but a guy can dream!

Update. The owner reports maybe 5-10 bees near the opening under the soffit. Yesterday it was hundreds. All the activity is at the box

Last edited:
   / Beekeeping #137  
I'm at Iron Sharpens Iron, but I have gotten a message that the bees have left the house completely and are only coming and going from the box I placed. That is a miracle. Insane.

/ Beekeeping #139  
Today or tomorrow I'll be setting up hives on another farm property, to give my bees more areas to forage. Of the three swarms I've caught this month... All have been called in to me by people we know. None have just moved into a box in the woods. Still hoping for two more swarms, but right now I'm pretty happy. April swarms will have a full season to strengthen before winter.

I'll post up some photos, because nobody likes to read. Photos are better

/ Beekeeping #140  
Well the bees didn't move into the box, or the house. I'll be hanging the trap on the property and we will see what the next month brings. Just baiting a couple traps tonight and waiting for more swarms. This week has been awfully cool, so it's slowed things done a bit.