Beekeeping

/ Beekeeping #161  
Swarm watch... Got a call from a neighbor. Swarm moving into an exterior home cavity. So, probably removing them Wednesday.

I have about 10-20 guard bees checking every bee that visits this trap.

And my favorite colony is still getting primed to swarm.
IMG20240428154514~2.jpg
IMG20240428160743~2.jpg
IMG20240428160856~2.jpg

/ Beekeeping #162  
Aside from bringing swarms back to the property this spring, and this house cutout... We are basically done "beekeeping" until fall harvest.

Once the flow begins, the hives are filled with frames (20 total). Each will carry up to 10 pounds of honey... And we wait til October to harvest.

We spend a lot of time catching swarms and performing cutouts.(My favorite part of the season) We spend maybe 30 minutes per year, per hive, "beekeeping". It's sort of like having free range animals on pasture. They know what to do, and how to survive, so we just let them bee.... 😄

I spend a lot more time on the tractor tilling and planting forage for them. That probably approaches 8-10 hours per year, which I live for.

/ Beekeeping #163  
So I just got a question asked by another beekeeper about swarming, and artificial swarm control in my hives.
We don't implement any sort of swarm control. Period.
Here is our philosophy. Swarm control is typically used by commercial beekeeping to increase honey production from said hive. So, they artificially stop the bees from doing what nature would have them do, to increase production. Swarming allows a colony to refresh their queen. It allows your GOOD genetics to go out into the local bee population for mating purposes. It allows a natural brood break for varroa control. It's almost like God designed bees to survive and thrive.
After years of hearing beekeepers lament how many colonies they have collapse, while also finding the most intrusive ways to "keep" bees, I'm often left scratching my head.
As my pastor said this week... As we fall further from the design of God and his laws, do we really expect that things will get better? Because of our wisdom? We are idiots... All of us are idiots. 😄. Yes, I truly am! Amen!

/ Beekeeping
Typically we split a colony by moving the queen and 4-5 frames of bees, brood, and food to a different hive. This accomplishes the same thing as letting your hive swarm, but the bees stay on the farm. It's considered irresponsible around here to knowingly let farmed bees swarm, I share that thought. Although there are places where a swarm would not cause much issue. My sister and her husband have their bees in the middle of their 500 acre mostly wooded, very rural farm. If theirs swarm then there will typically be no issue for neighbors, hopefully the bees find a good home.

/ Beekeeping #165  
What sort of issues do bee swarms pose? And why would "farmed bees" be any different than wild bees swarming?

/ Beekeeping
Most people are not educated about bees and are scared by swarms. Swarms can find inconvenient places to claim as a home. If you are called for a swarm or a cutout then each of those calls were from someone who saw the bees as an issue that needed to be addressed. Each swarm has the potential to set up a home within a neighbor's home, or too close to a populated area.

As for farmed or wild, it's the same as any other livestock. Wild horses are not a problem in the wilds of New Mexico. But, put 50 head in a farmers field - it could be a problem if 25% of them were released and allowed to roam free to find a home of their own each year.

It's not natural for there to be so many hives in such a small area. Simply put, those bees would not be there to swarm and potentially cause a problem in the radius around an apiary had they not been placed in that spot by a beekeeper. A "natural" amount of swarm behavior in an area is much less than what would be around an apiary.

/ Beekeeping #167  
Well consider me irresponsible with my bees 😄

Admittedly, I live near a town of 2000 residents... That's the "town". I live a bit outside of town.

Most of our calls are from locals who know our apiary, and know we grow through swarms. The cutouts have been not due to fear, but not wanting to deal with the problems associated with a dead out when that occurs. None have been out of fear of bees per say.

And I think it's fair to say MOST arguments I've heard for artificial swarm control, is based on honey production... Not being a good neighbor. The question today came to me from a guy asking if I was worried that swarming would reduce honey production... Well of course it will. 😂

I just don't really care to manipulate bees, outside of keeping them in apiaries. We are expanding to a couple more properties to keep growing our numbers, but miles apart. We also strive to capture our own swarms if possible, because they are all stock from multiple year over wintered local stock who have survived in spite of never being treated or fed. Those are the bees I want to "keep".

This year we actually caught a wild swarm on our property. Which was awesome, considering that 5 years ago, you'd never see a honey bee on this property. Likely descendants of one of our previous swarms that was cast into the woodland near us.

We all do it differently for different reasons I suppose. And I know full well, we are the outliers, by a wide margin.

Last edited:
   / Beekeeping #169  
Like I said, I'm a human idiot... I'm not the creator. I'm a humble servant. I'm not here to judge, lest I be judged.

/ Beekeeping #170  
Finished priming the last of my new frames today. I'm considering a laser cutter to automate cutting frame pieces in the future. Not only for me, but for other poor Layens users who don't want to do the tedious work of cutting them.

The 1 acre bee field is filling in nicely. 4 weeks to bloom time!

IMG20240429121911.jpg
IMG20240429124510.jpg