Been a year with a cab - Not sure I would again

/ Been a year with a cab - Not sure I would again #21  
Cabs are good for farmers other folks who make thier living outside, but for those of us with inside jobs, it is often great to get outside after work and on weekends. You loose that with a cab. Might as well stay in the office and get a "We" game that lets you play tractor on a video screen. Whenever I see a CUT with a cab, all I can think of is "A fool and his money are soon parted". I am real happy and comfortable under the hot old summer sun with just my homemade canvas-covered, wood-frame canopy, or plowing snow in the winter wearing my carharts, mittens, boots, and face mask. I love having all the tractor's power available to put into the ground or pto (you wont find me with a hydro trans on a non-lawn mowing tractor either). I have been running open-station tractors for almost 40 years and have yet to get stung by a bee while doing it. It is refreshing to see this post and I appreciate your honesty and courage in makeing it. Most folks are just too darned proud to admit a mistake like that.

I can see your point but I don't agree in that people who own a CUT with a cab is a fool in any way. Yes not all of them need the cab and some do realize it is a mistake for their situation but I would imagine a lot of them who can afford to buy a cab CUT do so to be able to enjoy their tractor more. No more worry about having to dress up heavy to use the tractor in the winter or worrying about how hot or humid it is during the summer. The tractor becomes a fun, year round tool they can use if/when they want and if the day is perfect they can open the windows and have the smells and breeze blow through the cab.

/ Been a year with a cab - Not sure I would again #22  
Yes,..I too, make the trip with the chainsaw and the limb clipper and try to prepare for the tractor work every couple years,...its worth it and you get a little firewood to boot.

After many years of open station,..I would never give up my "Cab". Yes there are times when climbing in and out is a pain along with some of the other minor annoyances but I'll keep my cab regardless.

I suspect one of the tractor manufacturers will ~"eventually"~ realize that there is a very viable need for some sort of ~"Convertible-Tractor"~, ..... One with a "Quick-Attach" Cab. Yes, I'm thinking something that "easily" hooks to an overhead barn beam or perhaps a tree limb or even a pipe-frame rig,... snap a couple of catches and drive out from under,..... connects just as quickly,.. AND all elect. wire harnesses, hydraulic hoses etc STAY with the main-frame-tractor for convenient, trouble free "Quick-Attach" !!

Sure it will take some good design and lots of trial and error as do most of these inventions,....but I'll betcha the one that comes up with it will make the most sales that year,...then it will be a competition to do even better by each manufacturer!

Personally I think it's a great idea and I wish they'd hurry up and get at it !! I still love my cab,...but there are those days, . . . . ........ (especially at sea on a lovely day ha, ha!)

CHEERS !
. . tug

Last edited:
   / Been a year with a cab - Not sure I would again #23  
Cabs are good for farmers other folks who make thier living outside, but for those of us with inside jobs, it is often great to get outside after work and on weekends. You loose that with a cab. Might as well stay in the office and get a "We" game that lets you play tractor on a video screen. Whenever I see a CUT with a cab, all I can think of is "A fool and his money are soon parted". I am real happy and comfortable under the hot old summer sun with just my homemade canvas-covered, wood-frame canopy, or plowing snow in the winter wearing my carharts, mittens, boots, and face mask. I love having all the tractor's power available to put into the ground or pto (you wont find me with a hydro trans on a non-lawn mowing tractor either). I have been running open-station tractors for almost 40 years and have yet to get stung by a bee while doing it. It is refreshing to see this post and I appreciate your honesty and courage in makeing it. Most folks are just too darned proud to admit a mistake like that.

A cabbed tractor allowed my father in law to spend a few extra years on a tractor in extremes of hot and cold and one is now doing the same for me.

With the aging population, I see more and more cabbed tractors and I don't view anyone a "fool" for preferring one over the other whether it be cab over open station or gear over HST no matter what their age or condition.

/ Been a year with a cab - Not sure I would again #24  
Well put TripleR. 20 years ago, sitting out in a snow storm enhanced by snowblower whiteouts seemed fun. A few years ago it didn't. I am now fortunate enough to have both; cab and open. Can't imagine going without either one. In my situation (and that is the key; your particular circimstances) if I HAD to have only one tractor it would have to be open station.

/ Been a year with a cab - Not sure I would again #25  

i was kinda thinking the same thing, but would have phrased it a bit differently; some people on here have feelings that get hurt way too easy. i think a CUT with a cab looks rediculous; the cab is bigger than the rest of the tractor, and it takes half the engine's power to spin the AC pump so you can be cool while you mow your 1/2 acre lawn. but to each their own i suppose. i have a canopy on mine, and it is plenty for me. i would never even consider a cab for the type of work i do; it would limit visibility, hamper getting on/off, be a constant worry in the woods, and my number one gripe about cabs: all that extra electrical garbage to go wrong. Real farmers and their field tractors-cabs should be standard equipment

/ Been a year with a cab - Not sure I would again #26  
i was kinda thinking the same thing, but would have phrased it a bit differently; some people on here have feelings that get hurt way too easy. i think a CUT with a cab looks rediculous; the cab is bigger than the rest of the tractor, and it takes half the engine's power to spin the AC pump so you can be cool while you mow your 1/2 acre lawn. but to each their own i suppose. i have a canopy on mine, and it is plenty for me. i would never even consider a cab for the type of work i do; it would limit visibility, hamper getting on/off, be a constant worry in the woods, and my number one gripe about cabs: all that extra electrical garbage to go wrong. Real farmers and their field tractors-cabs should be standard equipment

Doesn't have anything to do with some having their feelings too easily hurt, but rather someone being characterized a "fool" because their "needs/wants/preferences" differ from their another. I have no use for name calling regardless of the venue.

Some people want cabs, some don't; buy and use what you want.

/ Been a year with a cab - Not sure I would again #27  
I am a fool with two compact cabbed tractors with ehydro and love them. I guess the only thing that saves me is the 820 OS gear tractor. It is a free country you have the right to be smug and miserable if you want, have at it.

/ Been a year with a cab - Not sure I would again
Lots of a great advice here to help someone choose between buying a cab tractor vs open station. I spent countless hours trying to figure out which one before I made my choice. I am sure there will be others behind us who do too. My intent was to maybe help someone by pointing out things they may have not considered.

I find it very interesting that even after a year of ownership, I am STILL undecided if I had to choose again.

Ask me tomorrow when it's cold or when it warms up in May and June. I am sure my answer will be different for each.

Who was it that talked about a convertible tractor top (was that tug?)? I need to buy them a beer and talk about patents :p

/ Been a year with a cab - Not sure I would again #29  
My intent was to maybe help someone by pointing out things they may have not considered. :p

It's interesting, I never thought about the downside to having a cab, other than cost. I've often wondered if I should have spent the extra dollars on a cab, but after this thread I'm actually probably better off without it. Most of my work is on and off the tractor a lot, I do mow 10 acres in 100 degree heat a couple of times a year- and it would be great for that, but not the disadvantages outweigh that one advantage.

/ Been a year with a cab - Not sure I would again #30  
I've had both and currently have both, although I keep the M6040 at my business mainly. I have a two and a half year old son who loves tractors. Because of accidents that I have heard about with children and tractors he WILL NOT ride on an open station tractor. I can put him up in the cab of the M9580 with me, lock the door and go to work and not worry. A side from all the other benefits that one reason is worth it to me.