Been on generator for a day !!

/ Been on generator for a day !! #11  
I dodge a bullet with that storm here in South Texas. Had super high winds, hail and debris everywhere but electric stayed on. Just north of me folks weren't so lucky. Winds were clocked at 80+. All the windows in the house were rattling. I thought for sure I was in the middle of a tornado. Whew, close call. (y)

/ Been on generator for a day !! #12  
Money well spent also gives easy feeling when needed. :)

/ Been on generator for a day !! #13  
They dont need to run standby generators 24/7 during extended outages. I run mine a few fours to keep refer and freezer going, off most of daylight hours except to do lunch, then off until dark. Then it runs until i shut it off for bedtime. I have 1000 gal propane tank….i could go a long time between fillings.

/ Been on generator for a day !! #14  
Yep, one thing I made sure of was enough propane for a weeks running time when I had mine installed. That equals to a 1000 gallon tank. It has powered the house 3 times since installation. It is really a good feeling until you think about refilling 1000 gallons of propane with winter rates.

hugs, Brandi

/ Been on generator for a day !!
We are on a natural gas line so don't have to worry about refueling a tank. A local outfit does the installation and maintenance on the units they sell. They have a reputation of standing behind their products and not charging an arm and a leg for work.

RSKY

/ Been on generator for a day !! #16  
I am in the process of installing a 24k Generac to power my home and shop. We just ran 850' of 1" poly pipe for the natural gas. We should have the meter installed next week and will be able to to run the generator and test everything.

I debated between going natural gas and butane. At first the gas company wanted $12,000 to run the 850' from their line to my shop. I own a trencher so I bought 1000' of pipe and installed it myself.

The gas company only charged me $750 to install the meter up near their existing line.

Butane would have cost me about $2500 for a 500 gal tank, not including the butane to fill it.

I really wanted the natural gas so that I don't have to worry about keeping the tank filled.

/ Been on generator for a day !! #17  
I was working in an area where the power had been out for over a week. An elderly widow who lived next door had a whole house generator but had been out of propane for several days. There was a power line down across her driveway and although it wasn't live, the propane company wouldn't deliver to her. I felt bad but I was just there for the day and there was nothing I could do for her.

/ Been on generator for a day !! #18  
Little over 20 years ago I bought 8 kW 1800 rpm Diesel generator, installed transfer switch etc. to power few critical circuits in case of longer power outage.
(I keep enough off road Diesel fuel in safe storage for our other equipment to run this generator for few weeks if ever needed)

Soon after that our local utility company got their act together and we have not had power outages longer than 2 - 3 hours ever since!

Oh well, at least I am prepared if that changes for worse....

PS. No nat. gas distribution piping in the area.

/ Been on generator for a day !! #19  
Little over 20 years ago I bought 8 kW 1800 rpm Diesel generator, installed transfer switch etc. to power few critical circuits in case of longer power outage.
(I keep enough off road Diesel fuel in safe storage for our other equipment to run this generator for few weeks if ever needed)

Soon after that our local utility company got their act together and we have not had power outages longer than 2 - 3 hours ever since!

Oh well, at least I am prepared if that changes for worse....

PS. No nat. gas distribution piping in the area.
Lucky you, I don't have an hour meter on my pto generator but she has had at least a 1000 hours on here in the 25+ years I've had it.
3 long multi day outages and numerous ones during the year till the last 2 years. Thinking back for the last two years it's gotten less then 40 hours on it.

/ Been on generator for a day !! #20  
I am in the process of installing a 24k Generac to power my home and shop. We just ran 850' of 1" poly pipe for the natural gas. We should have the meter installed next week and will be able to to run the generator and test everything.

I debated between going natural gas and butane. At first the gas company wanted $12,000 to run the 850' from their line to my shop. I own a trencher so I bought 1000' of pipe and installed it myself.

The gas company only charged me $750 to install the meter up near their existing line.

Butane would have cost me about $2500 for a 500 gal tank, not including the butane to fill it.

I really wanted the natural gas so that I don't have to worry about keeping the tank filled.
I hope that 850’ is for their high pressure end. Your not going to have much useable gas if its after the meter…..unless you go 2# meter.