Been putting off doing a brake job?

/ Been putting off doing a brake job? #1  

Kernopelli

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Mini Ex, Deere Z930A ZTR
I have been putting off doing a brake job on my tractor for some time. I was on vacation this week so I put it at the top on my to-do list. Because I had adjusted my brakes a few times over the years and adjustments no longer improved braking, I had decided they were complely worn out and I would be sending them in to be relined. Fortunately it has drum brakes that are pretty simple getting to...take rear tire off, take 6 bolts out of the housing and pull brakes bands out. What I found on both sides surprised me. I had plenty of pad left, they were just heavily glazed. I put a dust mask on and used the wire wheel on my grinder to remove the surface glaze on each pad and very lightly sanded the drums. I shot the pads and the drums with a little brake cleaner, reinserted them and buttoned everything up. They have never worked better, smooth and very progressive at the pedal and the brake lock works again ( no more putting the FEL down when parked on an incline). Took about a 1/2 hour including putting away the tools, I could kick myself for putting it off so long! I had forgotten how nice it is to use the wheel brakes to help steer in tight spots and deep mud. If you have been suffering the same symptoms...don't put it off any longer. If nothing else, it's worth seeing the look on your son's face after he "borrowed" it without telling you........."Jesus, DAD! What the heck, I about threw myself through the dash when I mashed on them. Why didn't you tell me!?"

"You didn't ask".;)