Befco tiller problem

/ Befco tiller problem #1  

Kalka

Tractor
Ford 1300
Hello gentlemen I need little help with my old Befco 42 inch chain driven tiller. I recently opened up the chain drive to clean this area and refill the chain case with lubricant. To my surprise the shop that worked on it few years ago filled it with dry lube. Any way once I cleaned it all up I find that the chain in the lower sprocket is not fully seated and is actually damaging the sprocket teeth. can somebody direct me as to how to set chain back on the sprocket squarely.
thanks,
kalka

/ Befco tiller problem
IMG_0035.jpeg

/ Befco tiller problem #3  
Slide the sprocket off the shaft (Probably has as set screw you will see if you clean it up), put the chain back on and slide it back on the shaft. If the sprocket is too chewed up get a new one before putting it back on.

I would also clean that chain up with some diesel fuel and let it dry and relube everything with gear oil in the case.

/ Befco tiller problem
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay . Family issues came up. How do I relieve the tension on the chain to remove the sprockets to fix this problem ?

/ Befco tiller problem #5  
Is there not an idler sprocket a little farther up that's not included in your photo? Most arrangements like that have one. Loosen up an adjustment bolt and the idler will move away from the chain and allow more movement.

/ Befco tiller problem #6  
Is that the correct chain and sprocket combination? Photo kinda looks like the chain was replaced with one of a different pitch.

/ Befco tiller problem
I have had this tiller for 25 yrs. Bought it second hand. This is the chain it came with. The chain is not meshed properly with the sprocket. That is what I am trying to fix.

/ Befco tiller problem #8  
While it does look like the chain and sprocket are of different pitch, I think the wear on the sprocket would be a lot worse if it'd been run for long like that.

I think what's happened is that the chain is derailling and is riding up on the side plates. To fix this you need to release tension on the chain, fit it properly to the sprockets and then put tension back on. I think it might have ridden up because the sprockets are not perfectly parallel and the chain got loose. Roller chain can handle some amount of misalignment between sprockets but its more likely to derail.

/ Befco tiller problem
That is what I am trying to do. How do I release the tension on the chain? I released the spring holding the tensioner but nothing happened. So I guess I will have to get the sprockets off along with chain and try to reset it as mentioned above.