Being Deployed To Katrina Relief Area

/ Being Deployed To Katrina Relief Area #1  

BoneheadNW

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610
We received word yesterday that we would be able to be deployed (on a volunteer basis) to the hurricane relief effort starting Sept 26. The Department of Emergency Management (DEM) in my county is putting together what they call "strike teams" made up of firefighters, police officers, city engineers, public utility workers, etc. to "assist our nations effort to respond to this disaster" (using their language). The assignment will be for a two week period and will take place over the next 6 months. Our chief said that we could pretty much expect to go right away, personal schedules permitting. We could be assigned virtually anywhere our skills are needed, from search and rescue efforts in Mississippi to manning a fire station in the affected areas.

The deployment checklist was interesting. It mentioned that you should expect the following (depending on where you are assigned): alligators, snakes, packs of dogs, swarms of insects, irate survivors, contaminated water with accompanying threat of disease, extreme heat and humidity. We were also told that the clothes we take will be disposed of as part of our decontamination process.

Despite all of this, there have been at least 12 other people from my department sign up to go during the next 6 months. We will be given 48 hours notice prior to deployment. My wife has been extremely supportive as she will have to take care of my boys (and tractor) while I am gone.

I have a couple of weeks to prepare. Should give me enough time to remove a stump (thats a story for a different thread). /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bonehead

/ Being Deployed To Katrina Relief Area #2  
I think that is awesome.

from my previous volunteer FF expierience, I have been wondering what might be left back there to staff. I have not heard if they got fire apparatus and medic units evacuated before the storm. I wonder how many apparatus in N.O. are sitting in flooded fire houses.

Hopefully surrounding areas are sending 2nd out engines and strike teams in. I know our Fire district has had teams all the way back to Montana on wildfire strike teams in the past.

/ Being Deployed To Katrina Relief Area #3  
Thanks Bonehead,
Thanks for being there when our countries citizens need help. I think your biggest threat will be the "irate survivors". I support each and every one of you that go to help out.

/ Being Deployed To Katrina Relief Area #4  
as i always tell my son (police officer)

YOU BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!!!!!

/ Being Deployed To Katrina Relief Area #5  
I think your biggest threat will be the "irate survivors".

I would be much more concerned with the heat and insects, although by Sep 26th it should be somewhat cooler (allready is) than it has been. If you're sent to NO, the water and whatever else may be a problem. If you're going to a rural area in S Louisiana or Mississippi the survivors will be some of the best people you ever met, and you'll be impressed with the way they are helping themselves and each other without much from state or national relief agencies. At this time, most of the relief that has gotten into small towns and rural areas has been from individuals and churches that determined what was needed thru family members. Please don't judge everyone down here by what you see on television news.

/ Being Deployed To Katrina Relief Area
A couple of additional comments. I have to be honest, I am doing this as much for myself as I am the people I will be helping. This is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity and one I hope I will not regret.

My biggest concern is not the snakes or hostile people but disease. If we get sent into a contaminated area, we are supposed to be monitored by a medical team (we will be taking our own medic) and will be examined before we are sent back. However, the last thing I would ever want is to get home and come down with something that I might pass on to my family. When it comes down to it you just have to trust those in command to make sure you are taken care of (I do trust my command here, I don't know about the feds though).

Bonehead

/ Being Deployed To Katrina Relief Area #7  
I was wondering about the firefighting in New Orleans. The people have left so the life factor is not there. The buildings are sitting in a toxic waste pit and are likely to be demolished so the saving of property should be minimal. The recovery of bodies for the families would be the noble job left for the firefighters. The biggest threat now and long term would be the exposure of fire fighters to toxins. Be very careful and remember all the buildings in New Orleans are not worth more than a firefighter's life. Don't take chances, play it safe, and good luck!

/ Being Deployed To Katrina Relief Area #8  
As I read this thread one thought kept running through my mind. "A fireman is the person who will run into a burning building while everyone else is running out."

Understanding that you're a fireman and your instincts are contrary to most peoples let me add my own voice to those suggesting caution while having your adventure.

I married a woman from LA. I get to visit the state on occasion. They are some of the warmest and most giving people you'll ever meet. You're going to have a great time enteracting with them. And you'll be a better human being for doing so.

Be careful.

Be safe.

Do good.

Collect memories to share with your children.

And if you find you need something not in the supply chain ask us. You might be surprised at the power of the tractor brother-sisterhood.

/ Being Deployed To Katrina Relief Area #9  
BoneHeadNW,

I helped cleanup in eastern NC after Floyd gave us a 100/500 year flood.

The boots I wore down there I never touched again....

We just had little N95 filter masks. The first time I had nothing. I coughed junk up from my lungs and sinus for days. The MOLD in the houses is a big deal. Just moving through a house looking for bodies was all it took to fill my body with junk. We then went down to help clean out houses to help survivors with the N95 masks. They are better than nothing....

If I had to do this again I would take the mask I bought to do some repair work. I use it mowing in the spring it so good. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you are going as a firefighter you equipment would work but would be heavy depending on what you are doing. Just a good $20-30 mask really would help.

We left the boxes of N95 masks with survivors. The majority of people we helped where elderly and did not need the stress much less the mold exposure. The N95s ain't the best but they are better than nothing. You could not get the N95s in the disaster areas because of demand.

Good Luck,
Dan

/ Being Deployed To Katrina Relief Area
I just got word this afternoon that our deployment is delayed until Rita passes. The man from the Dept. of Emergency Management informed me that Rita will only make the conditions worse (DUH!) and to expect "primitive living conditions" (double DUH!).

The chief of our department has been in Baton Rouge since Saturday setting up the command and control infrastucture for our strike force. I am wondering where he and the other emergency workers will be sent to weather this hurricane. I have never experienced anything greater than around 60 mph gusts. I couldn't imagine what even a cat 1 hurricane would feel like.

Bonehead