Being dumb repairing winch

/ Being dumb repairing winch #1  

houska

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 4225h; Kubota KX-040
Just looking for rueful sympathy.

Bought a snow blade for my Kawasaki Mule (MX Pro). Installed it, left it on to run an errand.
Carelessly bashed a large rock with it while raising it out of the way *and* moving forward at some speed (dumb, yeah I know to not go fast while plowing, but I wasn't plowing, I was just running an errand, right?).
Winch would only go one way; must have damaged it with the sharp tug from the blade! Hmm. Solenoid only clicks one way, so must be solenoid. Weird; why it would be the solenoid, but OK, that's easier to fix than mucking around with the winch itself, right?
Following weekend, I replace solenoid (Amazon). Still goes only one way. I guess it is the actual winch after all. I debate whether to take it apart, but find a replacement winch on sale for a really good price. So the following weekend, I replace the winch, cursing as I drill new holes in the mounting plate since they didn't align quite properly. Still doesn't work.
So I finally pop off the switch on the dash and discover one of the wires has merely slipped off its connector. 10 second fix, no parts needed.

Not worth spending more time taking off the unnecessarily replaced winch and solenoid, and unclear I could return them. So I guess I have an extra winch and solenoid for Some Time In The Future....Hmm, how about a winch on my rowboat, powered by the 12V trolling motor battery? Or do I need a winch in the bunkie, where the lights are 12V?

Next time, maybe I'll remember to check *everything* before spending time and money on parts....

/ Being dumb repairing winch #2  
It happens to all of us, or at least me too.

/ Being dumb repairing winch #3  
i've learn sleeping on things overnight tends to help a lot with those kind of decisions, things are clearer for some reason the next day.

/ Being dumb repairing winch #4  
You could put the winch on the back for when you get yourself in too deep going forward.
On my buddie's Mule, his winch (also used with his plow) failed to power in. It would power out. His controller failed. To get the cable wound back on the winch, I reversed the two wires to the winch. He bought a new controller, but has not installed it yet. He will probably install it the first snow!