belt broke again

/ belt broke again #1  

lschultz

Bronze Member
Tractor
M6800 4wd
I have a 2146 cub that has 100hrs on it. At 80 hrs mower belt broke so I get another one and put it on. Put it on the way it says in manual. Dealer told me to brandish belt in when I put it on. That means engaging mower belt about 10 times. Said belt would last longer. Well now at 100 hrs belt broke again. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif It was only on there 20 hrs. It threw the belt off around 90 hrs and put it back on. If belts don't last any longer than this I will get rid of it.

/ belt broke again #2  
Larry, I've heard of burnishing in brakes, but never a belt, although I suppose it's possible that it helps. What I'd be doing is looking very carefully at the belt alignment; a loose pulley, very slight adjustment error, bad bearings, or such.

/ belt broke again
I guess thats the word I was looing for Bird. I know about doing that on brakes but I have never heard of doing this on belts either.I going to look everything over again.Maybe the spring that holds tension on the belt is getting weak.It shouldn't be but anything is possible.I thought these cubs were suppose to be a little better mower but I am wondering now.I would think the belts should last longer than this.Maybe I got a defective belt?But two belts now in 100 hrs something ain't right.Iam going to talk to the dealer when I get another belt and look and see if I can find a number for cud cadert.They are made by mtd.Thinks for the info.

/ belt broke again #4  
I would agree with Bird that there is an alignment issue or possibly a tension issue. My Cub 1862 has 500+ hours on it. I think the mower deck is on its 3rd belt. One was replaced because a grass fire started on top of the deck (DON'T ASK) and melted the belt. One broke. So that makes the one on there now the 3rd belt. Assuming I forgot one, this might be the 4th belt, but even then, I'm averaging over 100 hours per mower deck belt.