Bending 6" square tubing with 1 side removed

/ Bending 6" square tubing with 1 side removed #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
I have 6" square tubing with a wall thickness of about 3/16. The piece is 14 inches long. I cut one of the sides off so it looks like a "U" but of course not rounded.

I need to open it up by bending the flanges (2 opposing sides) open. In other words it needs to look like:

\__/

My son in-law has my torch and I don't have a heavy vice that is anchored well enough. Otherwise I'd have tried bending it by hand.

I have a harbor freight hydraulic press but can't come up with a way to orient it in the press where I could bend it open.

Any ideas? Trying to get this done today.

/ Bending 6" square tubing with 1 side removed #2  
That will be very difficult to do without clamping and supporting the middle section. It will naturally want to bend there instead of (or along with) the corners.

/ Bending 6" square tubing with 1 side removed #3  
Since it's a relatively small piece, I'd clamp it to the edge of the welding table so the bend is flush with the edge. Anchor it with a section of angle or other material to keep the bottom from arching up. Clamp some angle or flat stock to the upright to reinforce it a bit, then play the rosebud on the bend until it's starting to get nice an orange. The side should then move as a unit the number of degrees that you need.
It will probably take longer to jig up with the reinforcements than to do the actual bending, but it will be more uniform without the wavyness of bending it freehand.

/ Bending 6" square tubing with 1 side removed #4  
Find a piece of pipe with an outside diameter that matches the width you want and press it into the channel. It may bow the bottom though.

/ Bending 6" square tubing with 1 side removed #5  
Set it on concrete, with the open part of the "U" facing down,,,

Tap what would be the bottom of the U,, or the center section with a sledge hammer.

The tapping will cause the U to open up,,,

NO clamps required,,, :thumbsup:

:cool2:

/ Bending 6" square tubing with 1 side removed #6  
Find a piece of pipe with an outside diameter that matches the width you want and press it into the channel. It may bow the bottom though.

^^^THIS.

/ Bending 6" square tubing with 1 side removed #7  

The EXACTLY right size will press against the bottom flat when the sides are flared enough, and take out the bow. If the pipe is larger, put a flat spacer under the pipe.

Bruce

/ Bending 6" square tubing with 1 side removed #9  
It would be easy, if you had a torch.

Using a jack alone, will distort the center section of the piece.

The only other way I know, is to cut partially through the thickness, on the inside, where the bend is, using a cutoff wheel on a grinder.

Once it's thin enough, you can then bend it by hand where you want it.

Then, weld it up along the bend.

/ Bending 6" square tubing with 1 side removed #10  
Maybe just cut it into pieces and weld it in the right shape?