Bent bucket cyl on model 48 backhoe

/ Bent bucket cyl on model 48 backhoe
Relating to the comment about straightening the rod. All I can say is wow. Straightening that out would be very impressive. But in my case, the rod surface has millions of microcracks in the bend, which would probably eat the seals.

I find it a bit disappointing that a stiffer steel would not be used for the original cylinder rod. I’m my opinion, that is a defect in the machine.

If this ever happens again, I think there’s a good chance that Magister would replace the cylinder for free (but not after cutting off the rod end). Whatever, the replacement cylinder was inexpensive enough to not lose any sleep over.

Last edited:

@al20hp:​

I just measured the modified Magister bucket cylinder on my machine.

Extended: 43 7/8"
Retracted: 25 5/8"

With this, you should be able to figure out how much to cut off. However, I would still recommend that you make measurements on your machine with the cylinder disconnected to confirm the extended and retracted limits.

Oh by the way, before I could get the rod end pin out, I had to cut off the cylinder rod close to the cylinder body. There was a great deal of pressure on the pin from the rod being jammed up against the dipper, so that needed to be relieved before the pin would come out. I saved that bent rod section. It's a good conversation piece.

/ Bent bucket cyl on model 48 backhoe #53  
Thanks for the measurements. My new cylinder is scheduled to arrive today. I removed the old cylinder & pins the other day with no difficulties. The pins came out with minimal effort. Hopefully I can get it to the welder tomorrow.

Thanks

Al

What will you do about the cylinder end cross tube bore?

/ Bent bucket cyl on model 48 backhoe #56  
I purchased a 1.25 “ x 8” piece of stock steel and some bushings. I’m not sure if I’m going to use the original bolt hole to hold the pin. When the new cylinder is in place I can determine if I need any shims

/ Bent bucket cyl on model 48 backhoe #57  
👍

Attachments

• F6AFD812-82EF-42DE-A20F-B3CB54B4CFE4.jpeg
    F6AFD812-82EF-42DE-A20F-B3CB54B4CFE4.jpeg
    983.1 KB · Views: 53
   / Bent bucket cyl on model 48 backhoe #58  

@al20hp:​

I just measured the modified Magister bucket cylinder on my machine.

Extended: 43 7/8"
Retracted: 25 5/8"

With this, you should be able to figure out how much to cut off. However, I would still recommend that you make measurements on your machine with the cylinder disconnected to confirm the extended and retracted limits.

Oh by the way, before I could get the rod end pin out, I had to cut off the cylinder rod close to the cylinder body. There was a great deal of pressure on the pin from the rod being jammed up against the dipper, so that needed to be relieved before the pin would come out. I saved that bent rod section. It's a good conversation piece.
Are your measurements from end to end of the cross tubes. Or from the center of one cross tube pin, to the center of the other cross tube pin?

Thanks again

Al

Hopefully, I will have this thing running again soon!

Center of pin to center of pin.

BTW: be careful of rocks rolling on the the stabilizer cylinders. Been there done that too. I’m still thinking about some shields to protect the chrome rods. Maybe I’ll build a wood prototype before getting into steel. Sometimes wood prototypes work so well that they become permanent.