Bent bucket cyl on model 48 backhoe

/ Bent bucket cyl on model 48 backhoe #1  

DanMc77

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4600, JD 2210, JD 332
I hate it when this happens.

I was digging out some stubborn roots and rocks, when my bucket would no longer curl. I got off and found this. WTF!!!!!!

JD dealer wants a thrifty $1500 for that cylinder, and they don't even have one available. They stock a replacement rod for $500. They said they don't have any specs for the cylinder. So they're pretty much useless.

I just replaced one of the stabilizer cylinders from Magister Hydraulics for $170. (some modifications required). So it looks like I'll have to go the same way with this one. Anybody have specs for that bucket cylinder?

Attachments

• Bent cyl.jpg
    Bent cyl.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 251
   / Bent bucket cyl on model 48 backhoe #2  
You may want to consider going up in rod diameter on the replacement cylinder. This will only affect the dump force/speed.

/ Bent bucket cyl on model 48 backhoe #3  
how in the world that can even happen is unbelievable to me. but bang up job on getting her done!

/ Bent bucket cyl on model 48 backhoe #4  
Take it to a hydraulic repair shop. They'll have some options for you. I'd think the worst that could happen is they replace the shaft and use your bushing end and new seals.

/ Bent bucket cyl on model 48 backhoe #5  
I've seen that before on sub-compacts I bet you there's a manufacturer defect in the iron in that rod it was forged too soft.

Happen to have any warranty left on it?

/ Bent bucket cyl on model 48 backhoe
What was I doing? Nothing I haven't done 50 times before. I had the boom and dipper fully extended. I pushed the teeth down into some roots and lifted the boom and pulled the dipper together. Lots of pull this way.

I would think that a hydraulic cylinder rod should be super stiff and unable to bend like this. Whoever made this for JD stiffed them - AND ME!

Increasing the rod diameter is definitely something I'll work on, if I can find it.

I found a new cylinder for the backhoe, for $177. That's just a little less than JD's $1500 for a cylinder that is probably defective.

This is a "loader cylinder" that has the correct stroke, but an extra 8" of rod when it's retracted. I'll need to have the rod shortened and the rod cross-tube welded back on to get the final proper dimensions. This one is also a 1 1/2" dia rod versus the 1 1/4" rod on the original. JD has a 1 1/2" dia pin bore on the body end, but this one has 1 1/4" bore pin, so I'll have to use a 1 1/4" pin and make some shims on the lathe for that end.

Alternatively, this one could be used without cutting and welding the rod, but it has 1/2" less stroke than the original, and it only has 1" pins. I have a good friend that can easily cut the rod and weld the cross tube back on, so that's no issue. I don't want to lose stroke.

Your thoughts on this? I'll wait a day before ordering, hopefully those more experienced can share some insights.

Not too bad, but it's sad that the backhoe is disabled for a few weeks.

Last edited:
   / Bent bucket cyl on model 48 backhoe #8  
I would not consider dropping the pin size to 1".

Looking at the first cylinder, i would be concerned with opening up the hole in the base end to 1.5". Do you know the closed length of the trashed cylinder? When shortening the rod, you could cut off the existing cross tube and have a new 1.5" ID x 2.5" OD DOM tube welded on to the base. Are the hydraulic outlets in the correct orientation? The cylinders on my 430 loader have an extended length from the hydraulic fitting to the base hole. Fittings are also aligned with the base pin axis instead of perpendicular.

This reminds me that i need to replace the curl cylinders on my 430 loader. One side is leaking at the gland due to nicks on the rod. I'll check the magister catalog for what i need.

If I use the first one, the loader cylinder, that has 1 1/4" pins. Couldn't I use a 1 1/4" pin, then machine bushings to fit into the 1 1/2" bores in the dipper?

I've been happy with Magister. Mostly, I like their selection, and the prices are great too.

/ Bent bucket cyl on model 48 backhoe #10  
Yes, you could bush the mounting ears down to 1 1/4". Will you also be making an alloy 1 1/4" pin? Does the width of the base tube match the mount on the BH?

What I was asking is if the hydraulic fitings on the replacement cylinder are oriented correctly. If not, it is easy to reorient by removing the current 1 1/4" tube and replace with a 1 1/2" tube in the correct orientation and width.

In my case the cylinder base mount is a tang type, with a 5" longer retracted and extended lengths for the 18" stroke. I cannot find an exact fit cylinder, and will have to modify the cylinder base mount.