Bent my top link.

/ Bent my top link. #1  

crazyal

Tractor
Kubota, Case, Deere
Last summer I bet one of the ends on my cat 1 top link (it's the right handed threaded one). I've straightened it out but I'm sure the metal is much weaker than it needs to be. Kubota has done something to the end inside the tube and you can't just unscrew it to remove it. They do sell a replacement that's way too much money ($60). Has anyone tried to remove one? I didn't want to just use a wrench to remove it and damage the threads inside the tube. Is the thread size/ pitch metric or are all top links standard allowing me to buy a replacement from anyone? If I can find a replacement I could just cut the bad one off and then just screw the remaining part so it's inside the center tube or cut the threaded insert of the tube then reweld it back on after removing the cut off. Or if it's a pain I could just weld a piece of tube over the damaged part of the end.

/ Bent my top link. #2  
A long time ago I bent my Kubota TL just about at 90 degrees. Dead center, not a threaded end. I cut out the kink and welded a pipe splint over the two ends. Anyway, if I remember right the end of the threaded shafts had a holes thru them with a loose fitting pin or wire in the hole. The pin wasn't very heavy and was just captured by the barrel. When you get to the end of the thread the wire binds. I want to say it would break way before there was any thread damage but it was a long time ago and I'm not sure.

P1130516.JPG

gg

/ Bent my top link. #3  
Just go to Tractor Supply (or similar) and buy a CAT 1 top link. Take your old one with you to make sure the length is right. Or you could order online.

Search Results for top link at Tractor Supply Co.

The Kubota top link may have different threads, both in size and pitch so just replacing one end probably won't work. You are correct that Kubota somehow makes the ends non-removeable.

BTW, the replacement top link will have replaceable ends.

/ Bent my top link. #4  
My old tractor had a bent lower link (the adjustable one). I tried to take it apart also. No go. When I looked in detail at the Kubota parts diagrams, it became clear that they welded it together after assembly such that it was not disassemble-able without a cutting torch. I'm guessing this is a common design for them in 3 pt links. It might be possible to cut it apart and fix it, but odds are not good, IMO.

/ Bent my top link. #5  
If you have a BX; their TL is shorter than the stock items most places. Got my last one at Surplus Center but a search did not find it; maybe call their tech center. The shortest one TS has is too long. Hired hands have bent two for me, I never have. You may be stuck with Kubota parts.

Ron

/ Bent my top link. #6  
If there is a hole or a plug toward the ends in the top link, screw the end all the way in and you can usually see in the hole where a pin is pressed into the threaded part of the rod to keep it captive and not unscrew all the way. I always take the OEM top links off and get the Speeco top links and use them, they cost less and they are easy to get replacement rod end for.

David

/ Bent my top link. #7  
Kubota designed their top links so that they wont accidentally unscrew, it's a safety feature just in case we get attacked by aliens. Every time I go to a dealer and complain about the designed of something, they always say,"its designed that way".

Bent my TL a few years ago because I sat the pto winch down on uneven ground and started winching with out paying Attention, one side went down and bent the TL. Paying Attention is one guy worth paying$$.