Bent tie rod JD 770

/ Bent tie rod JD 770 #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Like others, I hit a hidden stump & bent the tie rod. Removed the castle nuts off the top of the ball joint but can't free it. Tried whacking a 1X2" with a hammer against the threaded part that held the castle nuts and no luck, didn't budge. So, what next?

Attachments

• JD770-tie-rod-end1.jpg
    JD770-tie-rod-end1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 162
   / Bent tie rod JD 770 #2  
You want to hit the piece that the tie rod goes into the arm on the spindle

/ Bent tie rod JD 770 #3  
Try the other side. If you can get it out and off, then you can unthread the tie rod from the ball joints and reassemble it. Left hand side is left handed thread, so "Aa word to the wise is sufficient".

/ Bent tie rod JD 770 #4  
Pickle fork. You may have to replace the boot. Or thread a regular nut on and hammer directly on the nut.

/ Bent tie rod JD 770 #5  
I replaced all of them on my 1978 2640, a short while back. They Really did not want to come out. Pickle fork was no go. I did not want to have to buy another bell crank, so I bought one of these. They all gave way to this, and a 24" breaker bar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061SMS0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know about you tractor, but there is also a slightly smaller version. Number 8149. The smaller one may have been a better fit on my tractor, but I tried this first, and it worked. It's a Chinese copy of the Snap On, and other tool truck versions. I was fully expecting it to break, but it did not.