Berta flail mower

/ Berta flail mower #31  
Thank you!Mine arrives on friday.I post some pictures after installation.

Last edited:
   / Berta flail mower #32  
TravisBB,
Beautiful machine! You've got to love a flail mower eating up big grass and weeds!

As noted by others, a flail mower requires considerable PTO energy and especially so when in high weeds. I learned the hard way mowing high weeds on a hot day is hard on the mower drive belts. I now keep extra belts and they are also rated for higher operating temperatures.

Nothing like a flail for making weeds, grass and garden plants into compostable materials. Congratulations on your fine equipment and kudos for the handlebar LED light!
Bill in NC

/ Berta flail mower #33  
@travisbb You do not lack weights on the engine side? I have factory weghts and i put aprox 8kg to steering better,i am afraid to brake the handlebars without weights,but comes with disadvantage especially when mow uphil the flail tends to rise.

/ Berta flail mower #34  
I have the factory engine weights, they are sitting on a shelf.

I removed them because I found it made my attachments ride/bounce up too much, especially my snow blower. With the flail mower I don't miss the easier lift when turning -- I take a curve instead of turning in place.

Even without the engine weights, I've considered adding weight to the flail mower to keep it from bouncing upwards when mowing uphill or on very rough ground. Very little of the area I mow with it is flat, so about half of my strips are uphill.

The only attachment where I miss the engine weights is the generator. This would probably be different if I had any soil-working attachments which tend to be heavier where you want to turn on a point.

As for the handles, I haven't bent or broken them yet. I did, however, snap the pin in the height selector trying to muscle my snowblower out of a hole when the engine was already lowered onto hard packed snow. I count that in the abuse category though, I was half hanging off the handles.

/ Berta flail mower #35  
Some pictures of bertha in action.It's very strong,i hit stones, concrete ,metal parts.No signs of wear ,not even on knives.

Attachments

• 20200729_125946.jpg
    20200729_125946.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 210
  • 20200729_130633.jpg
    20200729_130633.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 184
  • 20200729_125338.jpg
    20200729_125338.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 172
   / Berta flail mower #36  
I have weight wheels, can affect the power of the engine if i mow with the weight on each wheel?In majority places on second gear i feel the engine to the upper limit on power.

/ Berta flail mower #37  
The wheel weights will increase your traction and aid in
stability of the 2 wheel tractor.
It will require a little more engine power but not much.

/ Berta flail mower #38  
IMG_1893.JPG Attached a couple of old rotors to the front of the flail to keep it down when going up hill. Tires are foam filled, adds about 22 lbs each. Help with traction. Duals help with traction and stability, but does make the machine heavy when it does get stuck.

/ Berta flail mower #39  
I didn't find foam for the tires and i insert a small tire in the wheels and no more flat tires.

Attachments

• 20200804_113003.jpg
    20200804_113003.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 125
  • 20200804_102533.jpg
    20200804_102533.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 115
  • 20200804_113233.jpg
    20200804_113233.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 117
   / Berta flail mower #40  
Attached a couple of old rotors to the front of the flail to keep it down when going up hill. Tires are foam filled, adds about 22 lbs each. Help with traction. Duals help with traction and stability, but does make the machine heavy when it does get stuck.

Please help me understand the setup pictured, what is the Zanon attachment and does its output shaft drive the Berta? :confused3:
Thanks! :drink: