Best 3 trucks you've ever owned.

/ Best 3 trucks you've ever owned.
Hills was pain but not as bad as getting it hooked up to trailers. (n) I'd get a manual for car, but not a truck again.
Yep, the tiny mirrors that came with mine weren't much help for hooking or pulling trailers either not to mention blind spots on a compact regular cab my head had to be on a swivel lol. Back bumpers and trailer couplers always took a beating if I didn't feather the clutch ever so gently or putting it in 4 low helped me also.

Last edited:
They're fun to drive for nostalgia's sake. I take any opportunity to drive a stick if offered just to see if I can still do it.

My brother in-law put my youngest daughter on a dirt bike several years ago, got her used to the clutch, and off they went.

Couple years later, her future spouse had a jeep with a stick and offered to show her how to drive it. He was surprised how fast she picked it up. Once you learn it, it's just like riding a bike! Well, dirt bike, but the saying still applies. ;)
I learned on a 1978 Ford Fairmont wagon with a 4 on the floor. My biological Mother taught me once I could reach the pedals. I'll probably teach my stepson as soon as he can reach the pedals on either my current or future winter beater. Definitely not a car I'd ever want to buy or see again even for nostalgic purposes lol.

/ Best 3 trucks you've ever owned. #163  
My 80 something yr old mother hopped in my old tacoma to see if she could still drive manual. She could enjoyed it and never stalled it. More than I can say for my dads attempt. lol.
My 83 year old mother in-law drove a stick Ford pickup for many years back and forth to her job at AM General. Can't remember the year of the truck, but it was a purple Ford short bed step side with 3 on the tree, and dual gas tanks. She probably drove that for 20 years. She still laments the loss of the dual tanks when talking about her current vehicle. All of her cars were stick growing up.

My wife, on the other hand, will not drive stick. Hates it and sees no reason to learn it. I can see her point. I showed her how in the early 80s. She could do it, but did not like it, especially if stopped on up-hills.

Funny story. I came over a very steep railroad grade after a train had passed, and there was a car in the other lanes trying to go up in the opposite direction. I could see the driver stall it. And I looked and it was a friend of mine. I laughed at him and he laughed back. The line of cars behind him started honking. I picked up something at a store, and came back and he was still there trying to start out on that hill. Apparently his brother was teaching him to drive stick and would not let him quit until he got it! 🤣

/ Best 3 trucks you've ever owned. #164  
Yep, the tiny mirrors that came with mine weren't much help for hooking or pulling trailers either not to mention blind spots on a compact regular cab my head had to be on a swivel lol. Back bumpers and trailer couplers always took a beating if I didn't feather the clutch ever so gently or putting it in 4 low helped me also.
I found that my car hauler trailer has pin striping on the front of it, and if I'm in my Suburban, and sit straight up, and look in my left and right mirrors, I can keep the same amount of pin striping showing on each side, I've got it nailed left to right. Then it's just a matter of if I smash in my license plate with the trailer tongue or not. 😬

/ Best 3 trucks you've ever owned. #165  
I learned on a 1978 Ford Fairmont wagon with a 4 on the floor. My biological Mother taught me once I could reach the pedals. I'll probably teach my stepson as soon as he can reach the pedals on either my current or future winter beater. Definitely not a car I'd ever want to buy or see again even for nostalgic purposes lol.
I learned to drive stick by watching my mom's feet when I was a toddler. I'd sit on the floor between the two front seats of the VW bus and watch in amazement. When I was in my very early teens, she'd let me drive it around the circle in our driveway. The day I turned 15 my dad took me down and got me my learner's permit, and he took me to the cemetery and we drove all over the place. Good place to learn. Then we went home and got his Nova with 3 on the tree and went back for some more driving.

My folks were very good at making me drive anytime they could when I had my permit. Thanks mom and dad! I miss them. :)

My 83 year old mother in-law drove a stick Ford pickup for many years back and forth to her job at AM General. Can't remember the year of the truck, but it was a purple Ford short bed step side with 3 on the tree, and dual gas tanks. She probably drove that for 20 years. She still laments the loss of the dual tanks when talking about her current vehicle. All of her cars were stick growing up.

My wife, on the other hand, will not drive stick. Hates it and sees no reason to learn it. I can see her point. I showed her how in the early 80s. She could do it, but did not like it, especially if stopped on up-hills.

Funny story. I came over a very steep railroad grade after a train had passed, and there was a car in the other lanes trying to go up in the opposite direction. I could see the driver stall it. And I looked and it was a friend of mine. I laughed at him and he laughed back. The line of cars behind him started honking. I picked up something at a store, and came back and he was still there trying to start out on that hill. Apparently his brother was teaching him to drive stick and would not let him quit until he got it! 🤣
My mom brought me to
a hill going up and wouldn't let me quit till I got it. How that clutch lasted afterwards for many years still baffles my mind.

My late grandmother let me drive her car in the cemetery (before my permit) she claimed I can't really hurt anyone here. Lol

One thing is for sure imo modern backup cameras on my 3/4 ton and 25' motorhome has made hooking up a trailer a breeze.

That's the same thing my folks told me. So I did the same with our kids. 🤣
And eventually I will tell the same story when I take them to a cemetery to learn how to drive 😂