Best affordable commuter car

/ Best affordable commuter car #91  
I had a '96 contour quite a while ago and would never recommend it to anyone. Think it had about 105k and needed brakes... okay- no big deal. Bought it cheap. After repairing brakes the fans wouldn't turn on, wire harness was melted. Looked in junkyard but they were all the same. Found out there was a recall for it. Caused by bad fan motors, Ford replaced fans (kudos to them) but would not replace harness. Finally got it on the road and everything seemed good for about 1000-2000 miles so I was going to take it on a trip, got about 300 miles in and trans went out without warning.

But these are not the reasons I hated it, it had the v6 (2.4 I think?) And it was so crammed into that little car there was not room to do anything under the hood. Not a car you would want to buy with some miles on it thinking you could keep it maintained easily and cheaply.

I know what you mean Mike...
I made sure this was the 2.0 liter non-interference engine...
I was somewhat apprehensive about the purchase after reading all the negatives about the car on-line...
But I talked to several folks around here who loved them and got good service from them...
My mechanic who I trust is a Chevy man but told me that the Z-tech was a really good engine and easy to work on...
So far so good...

/ Best affordable commuter car #92  
As posted on another thread, I picked up a 98 LeSabre Limited (fully loaded, like a little limo) for my son to drive ($3500). Original owner, about 120K miles. Car is big enought to be big but not that big. Very high safety factor. The GM 3.8 is what it is, my son has been averaging about 27 mpg mixed, up to 35 on the highway if you keep it below 70. I'm very impresssed with the car, it is your fathers Buick, except for the front wheel drive. Wish I bought it for myself, hard to get it off of him if I want to make a quick trip to town for some groceries or misc. errands. He p$s#d and moaned when he got it, wasn't a "cool" car, looks like something your grandpap would be driving. Now, if I'm not around, he brags on it to his friends, or so they tell me.

Q

/ Best affordable commuter car #93  
I'm curious to see how this vehicle does.

American Made
84 MPG
Only $6,800

Elio Motors: Ultra High Mileage Vehicle

I think of it as an enclosed BRP Sypder, for less than half the price but with better fuel consumption.

If they can hold the price, stay funded past the first couple of years, and the cars stand up well - it should succeed. I hope it does.

I'd like one as a runabout vehicle, but new cars are not in my present budget. Modern mech design capability means that crash worthiness is probably higher than some would expect..... then again I ride a street MC, so admittedly view transportation options differently.

I recall at least one TBN'er that has put down a small deposit on an ELIO. Sounded like he had a long roadtrip planned.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/290493-elio-has-anybody-driven-one.html

Being built onshore, it has collected a few concessions.... in many jurisdictions all you need are motorcycle plates (usually cheaper than car tags), w/o having to wear a helmet.

Rgds, D.

/ Best affordable commuter car #94  
We've purchased two Chevrolet Cruze turbodiesels at work for service staff. They are getting from high 30's in traffic to as much as 50mpg on the highway. Took a trip from Boston to MD and back and averaged nearly 49mpg.

But diesel fuel costs about as much as high test. We may buy a Cruze Eco to see how they hold up as well.

I also own a diesel cruze if you do all highway they are really impressive. But for a $3000 premium payback will be a long time if ever. Doesn't matter to me though. I like the torque.

One tank of fuel drove 70 mph through canada. It gets about 10 mpg better than a standard cruze on the highway. 30% better fuel economy versus a 10% premium for diesel at my current fueling location. 3 times in the last 3 months ive paid less for disel than regular unleaded.

ForumRunner_20140806_093654.jpg

For what its worth I'm an engineer for GM on the Cruze and verano. If buying an ECO the manual is the way to go. If buying an auto I would by a 1lt or 2lt and pass on the eco it just doesn't seem worth it to me. In stop and go rural driving the eco manual will actually beat my diesel. At 75 mph I beat the eco manual by 6 or 7 mpg.
I almost bought the eco manual but its just not nearly as fun to drive. 280 lb ft of torque in overboost means it has nearly twice the torque of the 1.4s 148 lb ft

/ Best affordable commuter car #95  
I also own a diesel cruze if you do all highway they are really impressive. But for a $3000 premium payback will be a long time if ever. Doesn't matter to me though. I like the torque.

One tank of fuel drove 70 mph through canada. It gets about 10 mpg better than a standard cruze on the highway. 30% better fuel economy versus a 10% premium for diesel at my current fueling location. 3 times in the last 3 months ive paid less for disel than regular unleaded.

View attachment 385337

For what its worth I'm an engineer for GM on the Cruze and verano. If buying an ECO the manual is the way to go. If buying an auto I would by a 1lt or 2lt and pass on the eco it just doesn't seem worth it to me. In stop and go rural driving the eco manual will actually beat my diesel. At 75 mph I beat the eco manual by 6 or 7 mpg.
I almost bought the eco manual but its just not nearly as fun to drive. 280 lb ft of torque in overboost means it has nearly twice the torque of the 1.4s 148 lb ft

With apologies in advance to OP for drift......

1) Perhaps not your end of engineering, but do you know what the EPA requires for test fuel ? IE. Pure diesel and gasoline, or the modified variants we get at the pump ?

2) Kudos for disclosing your job responsibility here. To that end, could you get someone else (cough-cough ;)) to comment on whether or not we'll see a manual diesel Cruze in USA/Canada ?

For the USA, I think Chev's marketing spin is about right - Cruze diesel is a Performance Engine option, that happens to get good fuel economy.

Rgds, D.

/ Best affordable commuter car #96  
Hondas just keep going and going. 260k on my 05 one.