Buying Advice Best dedicated mower for hills and rough terrain

/ Best dedicated mower for hills and rough terrain #21  
Why would anybody would want a steering wheel on a Z-turn? :confused3:

I didn't know there was such an animal. As to more work with 'sticks'. I don't see that at all. Each stick controls a wheel. How does a steering wheel make one wheel go forward and the other backward?

Kubota BX right foot -forward reverse,slow fast left foot-diff lock for hills one hand steer. That leaves a free hand for SLUSHIE ! I have not seen anyone with a COLD drink on a Zero turn!

/ Best dedicated mower for hills and rough terrain #22  
Kubota BX right foot -forward reverse,slow fast left foot-diff lock for hills one hand steer. That leaves a free hand for SLUSHIE ! I have not seen anyone with a COLD drink on a Zero turn!
Back when I was running a exmark for a lawn care business, I ran a zero-turn single-handedly quite frequently. The sticks were set up so that they ended about an inch apart, so when you were going straight you could hold them both with one hand.

Aaron Z

/ Best dedicated mower for hills and rough terrain #23  
Why would anybody would want a steering wheel on a Z-turn? :confused3:

I didn't know there was such an animal. As to more work with 'sticks'. I don't see that at all. Each stick controls a wheel. How does a steering wheel make one wheel go forward and the other backward?

Why does anyone want to occupy both hands with sticks when you can have hydraulic steering and a wheel you can turn with one finger?

My F725 is dang near a zero turn and is the easiest mower to drive I have ever had. Watch that video I linked to above and you will see how a front mount mower can mow all the way around a skinny pole. You don't need to turn any tighter than that for ANY mowing job.

I had a zero turn for two years and was glad to see it go.

/ Best dedicated mower for hills and rough terrain
Thanks again for everyone's input. I am now considering a JOHN DEERE F1145 with a 72" deck, my only concern is if the 72" deck is too much. I have mostly open areas but I have heard some folks say it is too unwieldy. I have a 60" deck for the 3pt and I have never wished it was smaller only bigger so I think this will be fine, just figured I will get another opinion.

/ Best dedicated mower for hills and rough terrain #25  
Thanks again for everyone's input. I am now considering a JOHN DEERE F1145 with a 72" deck, my only concern is if the 72" deck is too much. I have mostly open areas but I have heard some folks say it is too unwieldy. I have a 60" deck for the 3pt and I have never wished it was smaller only bigger so I think this will be fine, just figured I will get another opinion.

Really? Looks to old school to me.

IMG_1196.jpg

/ Best dedicated mower for hills and rough terrain #26  
Are the F1145’s real stable on steep side hills? The reason I ask is the weight of the machine looks very high centered to me as compared to my 900D. The 900 is extremely stable on steep terrain, rides great due to large tires and suspension seat plus offers very good traction on steep inclines. Have never been on a F1145 so can’t compare them. Here’s a picture of the 900D.

IMG_1197.jpg

/ Best dedicated mower for hills and rough terrain #27  
What about a Ventrac?

/ Best dedicated mower for hills and rough terrain #28  
Yeah those look cool. $30k though.

/ Best dedicated mower for hills and rough terrain #29  
A mower for the steep hills!

[video]https://www.google.ca/search?q=alpine+mowers&client=safari&hl=en-ca&prmd=smivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwisg7mT8tniAhUlZN8KHWfLAxwQ_AUIFSgD&biw=1024&bih=671&dpr=2#imgrc=nITF8UJsF_IN6M[/video]

/ Best dedicated mower for hills and rough terrain #30  
Hello,

I have 9 acres with about 4-5 acres that I currently mow, I have owned the property for about 4 years now. I purchased a Ford 4400 FEL and a 2013 Craftsman (Huscvarna) GT6000 w/ a 54 deck and modified with rear ag tires. I also have a 60 3pt finishing mower that I can hook up to my Ford 4400 FEL. In the last 3 years I have rarely mowed with the FEL since the it always has something else on the 3pt (box blade, wood chipper, etc.) and my wife usually does the mowing so the 54 garden tractor has done 99% of mowing. While it can supposedly can go about 8mph (probably only about 6 when mowing), my property is rough and is due to previous owner neglecting it will be that way for a few more years until I get it squared away. The consumer garden tractor beats you to death when mowing, and gets stuck pretty much every time my wife mows. Our property has some serious hills and the garden tractor struggles maintaining traction going straight up.

So to summarize I am looking for a better way to mow my rough acres that has serious hills, gets wet(muddy) and would prefer to not have to keep to he current lawn tractor for getting into tight spaces (pretty open areas, just typical trees, around house, etc.) The current Craftsman has a tight turning capabilities (no where close to a zero turn but front wheels can turn 90 degrees and of course slide most of the time in the damp grass).

I am keeping my FEL for the big work, but don稚 want to plan on mowing with it. I am looking at used 20+ year old equipment as that is what I can budget. Here are the items I am considering, since I am not in a hurry I am OK waiting for the perfect choice but right now I am not even sure what would be, given the rough terrain and hills guessing any zero turn is out of the question.

International/Cub 154/184/284 with a 60 Woods Belly Mowers I seem to find this fairly often and my father has a 184 without a mower. I drove around my property, rode like a luxury sedan compared to the GT6000. Down sides, is not 4x4, only 60 deck, probably huge turning radius, etc.

Kubota B7100 (maybe 7200?) - I find these fairly regularly in my area from the late 80s/early 90s. 60 deck again not a big deck size upgrade but 4x4 is big win for me since I think I it prevent from getting stuck, plus hydro static is friendlier for my wife. Fuel savings with the diesel is another big win, that GT takes almost 5 gallons to do the yard once.

John Deere 455 Again 60 decks, I can find them if I am willing to travel a few hours. The All Wheel Steering seems like a big benefit for getting around obstacles and is a big pro from the Kubota B7100. Down side is looks like I lose 4x4, so a wash?

I have been interested in a 72 decks options but they have been few and far between. I have a really nice good condition Ford 3000 with a 72 Woods Belly Mower attached, I have considered it but that is probably just too big for getting up near the house around obstacles etc.

My budget is the really the cheapest I get the right mower, but much more than 5K and my wife will just make due with the rough ride, and having me come get her unstuck when needed...until the terrain beats that GT to an early grave and we are forced to make a decision.

I think John Deere X749 might be the ideal choice but prices are pretty steep on those, not sure if there is another option made earlier than that I am missing out on.

Thanks for reading and any insight you could provide.

If you cant rent out the land to a farmer, plant it full of trees or fence it in for grazing pasture. I wouldnt cut 9 acres of rough grass with any regularity unless it was a single pass walking trail.