Best gas engine oil.

/ Best gas engine oil. #11  
At one time we had a recent PHD in oil technology that answered many questions.
He did confirm to me that diesel oil had some additives that actually would be beneficial to older gas engins and would not be harmful to gassers.
Something about lubricity.

/ Best gas engine oil.
There is usually a best oil when tested in a scientific manner, but in my opinion, not enough to make a real difference. I was just wondering if there was an oil out there that stood above the rest.

/ Best gas engine oil. #13  
There is usually a best oil when tested in a scientific manner, but in my opinion, not enough to make a real difference. I was just wondering if there was an oil out there that stood above the rest.
I have no technical proof but I have always had good luck with Amsoil,redline and Shell Rotella.I am a firm believer most brand name oils this day in age are fine to run in any vehicle per your owners manual.

/ Best gas engine oil. #14  
I worked in the lube oil industry for 31 years and was privy to the tests our research people did on oils. Until I retired in 1998, Mobil 1 was the best by their tests. I'm sure, with the right additives to hold soot in place for diesel engines, the other chemical type oils like Amsoil and another outfit deal in, they would be equal to Mobil 1. Just never saw any test results on them.

I mainly like synthetic (Mobil 1 or Amsoil or that other one) because it's less work for me to deal with oil changes, disposal of the oil, etc. I'm using 10k miles or 1 year on our 2 cars and 1 year on lawn mower engines. I've gone to 2 years on the JD diesel and multiple years on the Tacoma that sees only 1k/yr and the Isuzu diesel generator driver. I'm also using 0w20 on gas, water-cooled, engines and 5w or 0w30 on the 2 diesels and air cooled lawn mowers. A xw40 is plain too heavy in today's world, not needed. I use M1 oil filters where I can get them, Wix on the Isuzu.

Ralph

/ Best gas engine oil. #15  
OP - not sure if you have a diesel in that mix or not.... guessing one, so something like T6 that used to have a gasoline rating is attractive as a one-size-fits-all pour.... Plenty of people on here do that practice.

The game has changed a bit as of late. Stay away from FA rated diesel oils, as they are not backwards compatible, even for older diesel use.

If you are going to push Time limits out, definitely stay with a quality synthetic..... other than that, anything that meets/exceeds the original SAE oil spec for your engine should do fine.

Unless your engine(s) run timing-belts, I wouldn't run the OLM down to zero'ish levels. I wouldn't do it myself in general, but the point I'll make is re. Timing Chains. Esp. on trucks, I've seen late model timing chains stretch enough to throw Engine Codes...... I'd sooner do a few more oil changes, than have to change a timing chain.

Post up what you decide to use, the peanut gallery here will want to know :).

Rgds, D.

/ Best gas engine oil.
I ended up getting Castrol Edge. It痴 a full synthetic priced at about $27 a gallon. I got it at Wally World and regular 5w 20 synthetic was a little hard to find. There was more of the high mileage oils it seems. I will probably get it from Amazon in the future they have a little better prices.

/ Best gas engine oil.
I ended up getting Castrol Edge. It is a full synthetic priced at about $27 a gallon. I got it at Wally World and regular 5w 20 synthetic was a little hard to find. There was more of the high mileage oils it seems. I will probably get it from Amazon in the future they have a little better prices.

/ Best gas engine oil. #18  
I ended up getting Castrol Edge. Itç—´ a full synthetic priced at about $27 a gallon. I got it at Wally World and regular 5w 20 synthetic was a little hard to find. There was more of the high mileage oils it seems. I will probably get it from Amazon in the future they have a little better prices.
Dodge man,don't know if you have a Blains farm & fleet store close by but they run some great deals on gallon jugs of syn.oil from time to time.They just opened a store about 30 miles from us my new go to candy shop..LOL

/ Best gas engine oil.
They do have them around here but not very close. The nearest one would be a two hour drive.

/ Best gas engine oil. #20  
They do have them around here but not very close. The nearest one would be a two hour drive.
That is quite a hoof.IMHO they beat TSC all to heck.