Best Glue for Metal to Glass?

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass? #11  
i think the issue he woried about was the 1/16 gap to fill..

soundguy

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass?
i think the issue he woried about was the 1/16 gap to fill..

soundguy

Yea, gap is like 1/64th" on each side (it is U shaped). That rear view mirror glue is thin.

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass? #14  
I am not sure what the OP means about the gap, but the rear view adhesive will fill a small gap. It does have some thickness to it. Not sure if it would be enough.

Perhaps, it can be modified, (filed?), to eliminate this gap?

If not, then yes, automotive urethane window adhesive, as mentioned.

If you have an auto glass shop nearby and can take the glass out, they always have tubes of this stuff open. They will probably give you a squirt, and you won't have to waste a whole $10 tube.

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass? #15  
i think the u shaped piece he is talking about is a metal part that sandwiches the glass. using RVWA, it likely would want to stick only on one side.. makin the piece a hair ( 1/64? ) off center.

not sure if that would throw the latching off or not.

in either case.. the urethane ought to do the trick strongly... if you can find some for free.. even better.. otherwise the tube is gonne be alot of waste..

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass? #16  
Travelover
urathanes & butyls are used where joint/flex is alot.. like autos windshields etc.. It seals well but it is not a structural adhisive/sealant like silicones. Silicone is harder in density when cured, but movement is not as much.

Originally Posted by Kays Supply
"I have built aquariums using Lexel adhesive."
pricey,, but awsome stuff definatly would hold his handle on!

Ask the local glazier:cool: , They have half tubes of cone all the time ,probably give you one
ak9

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass? #17  
I have a sliding window in my camper and I broke loose the aluminum handle that lets you slide the glass back and forth. The old glue was black and rubbery when I sliced it off the glass.

Anybody have a recommendation for a strong metal to glass glue? There is a 1/32" or so gap between the bracket slot and the glass so I'm thinking that a rear view mirror glue would not fill the gap. :confused:

If you have a glass installer that you do business with, why don't you just take it to him? He will likely fix it (properly) for free or very little $.

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass?
If you have a glass installer that you do business with, why don't you just take it to him? He will likely fix it (properly) for free or very little $.

I may well do that. First, I thought I'd see if there was an easy fix I could do myself.

Thanks for the suggestions. :thumbsup:

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass? #19  
urathanes & butyls are used where joint/flex is alot.. like autos windshields etc.. It seals well but it is not a structural adhisive/sealant like silicones. Silicone is harder in density when cured, but movement is not as much.

Sorry, but that is not correct.

Butyl is not a structural adhesive. But, automotive urethane glass adhesive, is a structural adhesive.

This urethane dries into a rubber compound as hard as a hockey puck. And it allows no movement of the glass, or attached parts.

Urethane is the only thing automobile manufacturers use to install glass in vehicles. Because, all non-movable glass in vehicles has been used as structural material for decades.

Consequently, urethane is the only product that you can use to replace stationary glass, according to current ICAR repair standards in modern vehicles. The days of installing auto glass with butyl tape, and adhesive are long gone.

/ Best Glue for Metal to Glass? #20  
awe schucks.. don't try to throw any facts into the opinion debate.. ;)

soundguy