Best Machete?

/ Best Machete? #1  

cold1313

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M4D-071 Kubota F3990
Odd question but for someone who has a lifetime supply of knives, I found myself over the weekend needing a machete to get to the tree stand and couldn't figure out why I didn't have one:confused:

Quick look on Amazon gave me a lot of choices but mixed reviews. The usual "I love it" or "Don't waste your money".

I wouldn't use it a ton, so not wanting to spend a bunch of money but I don't want to throw it away after one use.

/ Best Machete? #4  
The BEST machete is a very sharp one in your EXPERIENCED hand when the enemy (snake, branch, VC, potato that needs to be sliced) is there.

I've many "machetes" dating from the Vietnam War to maybe 3 years ago.

You've got to try the "balance" of the machete versus what you are cutting. If I'm moving through "medium dense" bush I like a decently heavy head with about a 18" blade length. Wacking vines and saplings while not getting my hand in the briars.

When I was cutting in dense bamboo I preferred the "woodsmans pal" type noted by Steve. Easy to swing, heavy head to help the cut but short so I could swing.

I keep one of those under my truck seat.

Get several of different sizes etc. they are not that expensive compared to a gallon of diesel. Even the "woodsmans pal" only costs about 20 gallons.

/ Best Machete? #5  
Take a look at the Corona line...quality tools at very reasonable prices...

/ Best Machete? #6  
I took this picture a while back at harbor freight. I thought it was just as funny as it was scary that this deranged looking fella was buying a machete and was patiently waiting in line with his 20% off coupon. It was pretty funny. I also hope he didn't attack anyone or do anything crazy. He did not look stable. 20160802_155116.jpeg I guess he just woke up that day at 4pm, skipped bathing for the 5th day, put on his best unwashed sweat pants and shirt and said "I think I need a machete today." "Oh yeah I almost forgot my 20% off coupon. Only a fool would pay full retail"

/ Best Machete? #7  
I bought a Woodsman'a Pal some time ago and sent it back, looked like it made in a shop class. My favorite is a copy, no longer made, of the Path Finder in the Predator movie, but it was realty expensive, so I stick with the Ontario shown earlier.

/ Best Machete? #8  
Since often is not a prereq. 18 in. Machete with Serrated Blade

Serrated blade does help rip out vines.
Various weights and sizes for different applications.
Since clearing out brush and vines while accessing deer stand this cheapie may work.

/ Best Machete? #10  
I too old for any kind of machete games. Got a Stihl FS350 with a head that takes three - free swinging high carbon steel blades. It will take ANYTHING organic down that's less than 2" in diameter.