Best Nut or thread locking devices

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #41  
a torch:devilish:

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #42  
Even though I never heard of rust lock before, I've swore too often at rusted on nuts/bolts to do it intentionally.... for any reason. :eek:)
That's why I posted about it. I thought it was kinda funny that we have all cussed a rusted fastener and well over a century ago someone noticed this and decided to come up with a formulation to make a rusted joint even more rusted.
Eric

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #43  
This is becoming an educational thread for me. :unsure: I might need to try and find a better supplier for acetone. I can’t buy bulk, as my metal paint cabinet is full.
Places like Walmart have bottles of 100% acetone in the fingernail polish area. Not expensive.

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #44  
This was very interesting. I’ve never seen the last type of lock washer before. It would have been nice if they would have included some of the various thread locking liquids as well.
as a retired ASE master tech I liked the Loctite brand thread locker the best, the RED if you want a non easily removable bolt or nut. you sometimes have to heat with a torch to get the loctite to soften up to remove without breaking,the blue is a medium strength that does not require heat to soften up to remove the bolt or nut, on small bolts like #6-8-10 or 1/4 & 5/16 I prefer the star washers

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #45  
I bought distorted thread nuts for my Polaris UTV to replace the wheel nuts. They're high strength and grip tight.

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices
I bought distorted thread nuts for my Polaris UTV to replace the wheel nuts. They're high strength and grip tight.
I’ve heard of these, but never used them. In my mind, I visualized stripped threads after a couple of on/off uses. I decided to to investigate a little more. It appears to be some very precision engineering.

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #47  
I’ve heard of these, but never used them. In my mind, I visualized stripped threads after a couple of on/off uses. I decided to to investigate a little more. It appears to be some very precision engineering.
can't use them on low strength fasteners for that very reason. They act like a die and comfort the fastener thread to the nut.

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #48  
I remember my dad doing something like that when I was a kid. It seemed like, after torquing a nut, he would take a punch and dimple a thread on the bolt? I can’t remember the exact process for sure. After getting yelled at for not holding the flashlight correctly, it would cause me to loose interest in the project he was working on. :rolleyes:
My brothers and I all joke about Dad and "...hold the light....It's in my eyes...". I'm sure in our minds we said hold it yourself. I also learned while holding the light that if someone is doing a job and they are doing a whole lot of swearing , They really don't know what they are doing.

Last edited:
   / Best Nut or thread locking devices #49  
This was very interesting. I’ve never seen the last type of lock washer before. It would have been nice if they would have included some of the various thread locking liquids as well.
You cant beat Nyloc nuts here

/ Best Nut or thread locking devices #50  
I have a lot of faith in Loctite products, but they need to be used properly.
The issue with threadlocking compounds is... The Chinese have invaded the market with counterfeit products. There is only one true threadlocker and that is Henkel Loctite.