Best option for solid front wheels for ZTR?

/ Best option for solid front wheels for ZTR? #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
The front wheels on my ZTRs have been constant trouble for years. Between cutting several of them and leakage they’re always flat. I’ve looked at tractor supply for solid wheels and I haven’t found anything that’ll fit. Most of the options had crappy bearing anyway. Yesterday at the NFMS I saw a Grasshopper with Tweels on the front. The Grasshopper rep said they were $110 each and that was a price I was willing to pay to end my problems, but he said I would have to order through a local dealer. The local dealer wanted $190 each and I’m not paying that. I saw this on northern tool which looks promising but I’ll have to measure mine first. Has anyone found any other good options? IMG_1474.JPGIMG_1457.JPG

/ Best option for solid front wheels for ZTR? #2  
That looks interesting as I am in the market for the same solution for my ZTR.

/ Best option for solid front wheels for ZTR? #3  
I had the same problem on the front wheels on my Bobcat zero turn. My dealer recommended tubing them and then filling with foam. I had that done and never looked back.

/ Best option for solid front wheels for ZTR? #4  
I'd be afraid of that bearing set up on the Northern Tool one. I bought some replacement wheels for my Woods (Grasshopper) from Northern with the same type bearing and got only 2 years out of them. Front wheels really take a beating..! Those Tweels do look interesting. But not at $190.

/ Best option for solid front wheels for ZTR? #5  
My front tires have been 70% of my machine's trouble.
Are those wheels solid? If they are rock solid, I'd end up peeing blood after a day in the saddle.

/ Best option for solid front wheels for ZTR?
I had the same problem on the front wheels on my Bobcat zero turn. My dealer recommended tubing them and then filling with foam. I had that done and never looked back.

I looked into that but the tire store would only foam them on Friday. I used my mower every Friday and most Saturdays so that wasn’t a viable option. I hadn’t thought much more about it until now. I guess that would probably be the cheapest option since I’m not mowing now.

/ Best option for solid front wheels for ZTR? #7  
2 years ago I bought the solid tires from Northern Tool for my Kubota ZG23. They were junk! The spacer set up to get the correct axle width was sloppy. I threw them away the following year and ordered good ones from the Kubota dealer that fit perfectly. The new Kubota zero turns offer them.

I haven’t had much luck finding these. The Grasshopper rep told me these were $220 for a pair and I’d give that. Maybe he was mistaken and it’s really $220 each which is what I’m seeing. The GH dealer wants $190 each, the mowers shop website wants $200 each and probably atrocious shipping and the Michelin website wants $239 apiece. There’s plenty of flat free wheels for $60 or so but most appear to have crappy bearings that might last a year. Keep in mind this machine saw 200 hours in the last half of last mowing season and I’m hoping for more this year. If there’s a good alternative I’m all ears. I’ve heard horror stories about foam filling the tires about ride quality. The rears don’t give much trouble so I’m only interested in the fronts. I can’t imagine these have much give anyway. Has anyone experienced a ride change foam filling the front.

/ Best option for solid front wheels for ZTR? #9  
If you're planning on scrapping the front wheels/tires anyway you could try filling them with Green Slime or some other sealant.

If you're planning on scrapping the front wheels/tires anyway you could try filling them with Green Slime or some other sealant.

They both currently hold air which is a rare moment for front lawnmower tires around here, but they’re prone to getting punctured.