Best upgrade from a Kubota L2800

/ Best upgrade from a Kubota L2800 #1  

neilbedwell

Tractor
Kubota L2800
As the title says, I’m looking to upgrade from my L2800 Kubota.

To be honest,there’s nothing wrong with my tractor - it only has a little over 250 hours and has been shed kept.

Wife and I moved onto 12 acres a couple years ago and I brought the little Kubota here when we came. I run a 5 ft bush hog to cut the field.

So, the thing is that the tractor just feels small now. I routinely run out of lift capacity with the loader. I’ve got several projects going and several planned that will require the use of my tractor. It takes about 8 hours to completely mow the field with my bush hog.

I would love to have a tractor with a bigger mower but everything new that I’m looking at is $40k and up and all I really get for that is a 6 ft bush hog instead of my 5ft. That’s not enough of a gain to justify the cost. I’m not opposed to buying used but I don’t have time for a project or something that will need constant tinkering. I had a 1957 Massey TO35 that burned me out on the constant tinkering.

Wife wants to keep the L2800 because she says it’s easy to drive and she likes it - she says it’s hers, lol.

I’d like to find something under $30k that would run at least a 7ft Bush hog. I don’t care about 4wd or a loader bucket on this one.

Any suggestions? Am I just better off sticking with my L2800 and spending the time it takes?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

/ Best upgrade from a Kubota L2800 #2  
How mechanically inclined are you? You could easily get into a 80hp+ IH for half your budget that would mow with pretty much anything you could put behind it. Not sure what your other projects are but just use the L28 and take those projects a little slower. Tractors are very inefficient lifters with the FEL and you have to spend a lot to get very few more lbs of FEL capacity.

/ Best upgrade from a Kubota L2800 #3  
Can you borrow a six foot brush hog? It's possible your existing tractor would handle it just fine. If so simply sell the five footer, buy a six and you just saved several thousand dollars.

/ Best upgrade from a Kubota L2800 #4  
If a 2wd no loader tractor is all you need there are lots of low houred used or even new up to 50-60 hp tractors available for under 30k

/ Best upgrade from a Kubota L2800 #5  
Had L2800 HST with 5'mower never had failure comfortable to use,traded with 261 hours.

Lot of good used 2wd tractors higher horse power popping up at auctions.

/ Best upgrade from a Kubota L2800 #6  
There are some used deals out there. Here is one that is a lot of tractor for the money and low hours. You may have to drive a bit to get them but they are out there. They still aren't lasting too long if they are a good deal.

1682855438625.png

/ Best upgrade from a Kubota L2800 #7  
This 50hp listed 18 hours ago. He's probably already getting messaged. Won't last

Edit: Oh but it looks like gear drive.

1682856391393.png

/ Best upgrade from a Kubota L2800 #8  

Kubota L2800​

Kubota L2800 tractor photo
2004 - 2010
Standard L Series
Compact Utility tractor
Kubota L2800 Power
Engine (gross):29 hp
21.6 kW
Gear PTO (claimed):24 hp
17.9 kW
Hydro PTO (claimed):22.5 hp
16.8 kW
Kubota L2800 Weight
2WD gear :2359 lbs
1070 kg
4WD gear :2536 lbs
1150 kg
4WD hydro :2600 lbs
Kubota LA463 Loader
Height (to pin):95.3 inches
242 cm
Reach at ground:64.5 inches
163 cm
Breakout force (at 500mm):1,858 lbs
842 kg
Lift to full height (at pin):1,142 lbs
518 kg
Lift to full height (at 500mm):853 lbs
386 kg
Bucket width:60 inches
152 cm

Last edited:
   / Best upgrade from a Kubota L2800 #9  
1) I routinely run out of lift capacity with the loader.

2) I’d like to find something under $30k that would run at least a 7ft Bush hog.

I don’t care about 4wd or a loader bucket on this one.

You need to clarify in your own mind your tractor needs for the long term.

Wife and I moved onto 12 acres.
Here is a mowing calculator:
Not surprisingly, if you increased your mower width from 5' to a 10' double spindle rotary cutter your should be able to mow your field in four hours. For a 10' mower I would buy a 60-horsepower tractor.

Most here will recommend a 3,700 pound to 4,000 pound bare weight tractor for twelve (12) acres. If you want to pull a wide Rotary Cutter you will need at least 50-horsepower, better 60-horsepower. FEL lift capacities will exceed one ton in every tractor brand.

4,000 pound bare weight model vs 5,000 pound bare weight model:

5,000 pound bare weight 'M' model.

When considering a tractor purchase, bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

Brand? Models to look at or avoid? Buy new or used?

The design of the Three Point Hitch tractor has been marketed in the USA since 1939 -- 83 years in 2022.

The basic design is generic.

Kubota and Deere have most of the market through 6,000 pound bare weight tractors. But this Kubota/Deere predominance is regional.

The up and coming compact tractor brands are Korean: Kioti, LS and TYM/Branson. You have to critically assess dealer stability while shopping minor brands.

Korean manufacturing labor is paid 50% of what Deere pays its union work force. Japanese manufacturing labor is paid 70% of what Deere pays its union work force. Labor costs strongly influence tractor prices.

Last edited:
   / Best upgrade from a Kubota L2800 #10  
Kubota MX is a good choice. I went from L3400>MX5100.

Quite a bit more capable machine. And I run an 8' twin spindle mower.

Not sure what your "field" is like...but assuming its less than the 12 total acres you own? Cutting 8-10 acres a few times per year if it isnt too rough would be around a 2.5-3hr job