Best used skid steers

/ Best used skid steers #1  

ric

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 245DT and 175F
I have compact tractor I'd like to replace with a skid steer, but need some input on the best one to purchase and why.

I have several years experience with rented Bobcats which have all performed very well. However, Case, New Holland Deere and others all seem to make decent units.

I hear frequently that Case makes a good unit but have no experience with these.

Any insight, experiences, suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

/ Best used skid steers #2  
I've used bobcat and the others but really love my Deere 250.
Being able to SEE out all the way around is a big help.
Deere motors set longways and the pumps are direct mount
unlike the cross mount and belt drive of bobcats.
The ease of maintenance and vision and quick-tach lock and
price makes it hard to use anything else.
Where are u at in OH?
I got mine from Shearers in Mansfield, good dealer and great
service.
They gave me a demo for 2 weeks and when my order was delayed past the date they told me it would be in they brought
another Deere then a bobcat /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif for me to use till mine came
in (3 weeks late).

/ Best used skid steers
I live just South of Marengo.

I have two friends who have newer Deere skid steers. They both really like their units. Both had Bobcats before and will never have another. Interestingly they both set out to buy something else and ran across these units and purchased them. I think they were planning to purchase Case or New Holland and ended up with a Deere. They use these in their business. Anything I purchase would residential use only. When I figured out what they probably paid for their skidsteers I decided they were too pricey for me.

Did you look at anything else before buying a Deere?

ric

/ Best used skid steers #4  
I looked at bobcat, NH, gehl.
My friend has a 943 bobcat and u need a mirror above your
head to see out back, not to mention out the sides.
After trenching w/ the Deere and being able to SEE out the
back decided this is the machine.
The rental place in Mt. Vernon had bobcats for years, then
demo'd Deere SSL and switched over to all Deere.

/ Best used skid steers
If you are referring to Wiford's in MtVernon they are now a Bobcat exclusive dealer/rental outlet. I usually rent from another renter in Delaware. They like Bobcat too but not because Bobcats work so well.

Know anything about the NH SuperBoom design? I like the NH for the same reason you like your Deere. What would have been your second choice? Did this come down to price or was that not an issue?

I also like what you said about the power train. Has that proved to be the advantage you thought it would be?

The NH owner I know had a new Bobcat five years ago and within two years had to replace two drive units, cost him nearly $8,000. He tried to trade it on another unit and they would not take it on trade. His impression at the time was there was a design flaw in that series and they knew it. He sold it later and bought a NH. Had it for 4 years and has not had one problem.

ric

/ Best used skid steers #6  
<font color="blue"> I have compact tractor I'd like to replace with a skid steer </font>

Power-trac, kind of a SS/CUT hybrid, offers versatility as well as visibility. Depends on your needs.

/ Best used skid steers
Don't think a PowerTrac is what I had in mind. I need some lifting capacity, height and reach.

A skid steer is probably my best bet. I just need to work through the pro's and con's of each maker to determine which one would be the best one to purchase. I don't think Bobcat is the best way to go, they seem to have too many little problems, service and visibilty are also issues.

So far, its between Case, NH and possibly Deere. However, Deere seems a little pricey.

Thanks.

ric

/ Best used skid steers #8  
If you are referring to Wiford's in MtVernon they are now a Bobcat exclusive dealer/rental outlet. I usually rent from another renter in Delaware. They like Bobcat too but not because Bobcats work so well.

Wiford's run Deere and Bobcat of Columbus bought Taylor
rental and made this a branch w/ rental stuff too.
I haven't worked on the Deere at all but if u pull off side
panels u can see all of the motor.
Before Deere started making SSL, NH made them and put on
yellow paint.
I would have gone NH next.
I HATE the lap/crash bar in bobcats.
Only thing I would add would be hydro Q-T but it won't work
w/ hi flow option.
IMO Deere or Kubota motors are best and u can't make me
run a perkins.

/ Best used skid steers #9  
I used to be a mechanic at a Bobcat dealership I can tell you alot of horror stories about them, mostly all the electrical garbage on the late model (G-series) B/C's. Truthfully I find it very hard to recommend one brand over another, they have all made good ones but all have had problems, their all a pain to work on, my best advice is buy what fits you and what your going to be using it for, how much lift capacity do you need?, how high do you need to lift it?, are you going to be using any hyd. powered attachments?, etc. , they all work the same they have an engine that pulls pumps that works the drive mechanism and hydraulics to my knowledge Deere is the only one that uses their own engine, NH says they do but actually it's a Shibaura which is not bad by any means.

/ Best used skid steers #10  
ric,
The most popular skid steer to contractors in my area is the Case 1845C.
I use one on a daily basis in the summer months,I think they are as good as any out there !
One local contractor is on his fourth Gelh and seems to like them.
A couple local contractors have the New Holland and seem to like them.
None have anything good to say about Bobcat.