Best uses for chlorinated brake cleaners

/ Best uses for chlorinated brake cleaners #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
I replied to a post about using brake cleaner to clean an engine and it occurred to me that I could pass on some knowledge I have acquired about chlorinated brake cleaners.
First of all, chlorinated brake cleaners have been proven to damage the ozone layer and to damage our health*. So they should be used sparingly. But they do have their uses and as far as I'm concerned should not be used for cleaning brake rotors.
What the chlorinated cleaners are good for is when you need something made from most metals to be really oil and solvent residue free. The chlorinated cleaners really excel at removing oils while at the same time leaving none of the cleaner behind. They should not be used to clean any type of aluminum alloy because they attack aluminum and its alloys.
Where the chlorinated brake cleaners are the most useful, in my opinion, is when thread lockers, line Loctite, are being used. I don't know why they work so well but when cleaning parts before before using anaerobic thread or cylindrical fit adhesives the use of chlorinated solvents really helps to guarantee that the thread locker or cylindrical fit adhesive work the best.
I started using Loctite thread lockers nearly 50 years ago. Back then Loctite recommended, for the best results, the use of chlorinated hydrocarbon solvents to clean parts before applying the Loctite anaerobic adhesive thread and shaft lockers. Though they no longer recommend this their advice from the past is still good advice from my experience. So even though the chlorinated hydrocarbon solvent brake cleaner is bad for the environment and people I still use it just for cleaning parts before applying Loctite.
*Some folks will argue that it is all B.S. that chlorinated hydrocarbons are bad for the ozone layer etc. That's not what this post is about and I won't argue about it. And it doesn't change what I said about using these solvents to clean parts before using anaerobic adhesive thread lockers.
Eric

/ Best uses for chlorinated brake cleaners #2  
Interesting. Can you still get the chlorinated brake cleaner? All the ones I have are non-chlorinated.

/ Best uses for chlorinated brake cleaners #3  
Still have a choice here of crc green or red can brake kleen...

/ Best uses for chlorinated brake cleaners #4  
   / Best uses for chlorinated brake cleaners #5  
I replied to a post about using brake cleaner to clean an engine and it occurred to me that I could pass on some knowledge I have acquired about chlorinated brake cleaners.
First of all, chlorinated brake cleaners have been proven to damage the ozone layer and to damage our health*. So they should be used sparingly. But they do have their uses and as far as I'm concerned should not be used for cleaning brake rotors.
What the chlorinated cleaners are good for is when you need something made from most metals to be really oil and solvent residue free. The chlorinated cleaners really excel at removing oils while at the same time leaving none of the cleaner behind. They should not be used to clean any type of aluminum alloy because they attack aluminum and its alloys.
Where the chlorinated brake cleaners are the most useful, in my opinion, is when thread lockers, line Loctite, are being used. I don't know why they work so well but when cleaning parts before before using anaerobic thread or cylindrical fit adhesives the use of chlorinated solvents really helps to guarantee that the thread locker or cylindrical fit adhesive work the best.
I started using Loctite thread lockers nearly 50 years ago. Back then Loctite recommended, for the best results, the use of chlorinated hydrocarbon solvents to clean parts before applying the Loctite anaerobic adhesive thread and shaft lockers. Though they no longer recommend this their advice from the past is still good advice from my experience. So even though the chlorinated hydrocarbon solvent brake cleaner is bad for the environment and people I still use it just for cleaning parts before applying Loctite.
*Some folks will argue that it is all B.S. that chlorinated hydrocarbons are bad for the ozone layer etc. That's not what this post is about and I won't argue about it. And it doesn't change what I said about using these solvents to clean parts before using anaerobic adhesive thread lockers.
Eric

The health thing actually came up in the new episode of Roadkill last week where Finnegan has some of the chlorinated brake cleaner and they were looking to clean up the back of a block that rusted through freeze plug they were going to fox with JB weld on the fly. He mentioned the the CBC if shot on a hot surface and it vaporized the vapors can make you very sick and cause neurological damage and even death.

/ Best uses for chlorinated brake cleaners #6  
Very important....if using brake cleaners to clean parts for welding....make sure that all cleaner has evaporated before welding. Welding over wet brake cleaner creates phosgene gas and will cause serious health issues or death.

/ Best uses for chlorinated brake cleaners #7  
I keep many cans of original Brakleen in stock for so many different uses - most of the non-chlorinated ones are flammable, Brakleen is not. Also Brakleen can be used on a lot of plastics without melting/dissolving it. Any time I need to silicone two surfaces together I use it to clean the surfaces. Also if I'm going to glue something together. It also works very well as a stain remover - as a mechanic for decades I've used it to remove grease stains from seats or carpeting or even my clothes !!

/ Best uses for chlorinated brake cleaners #8  
I use wd40 for spot cleaning grease stains, works great.

/ Best uses for chlorinated brake cleaners #9  
I cleaned my rather expensive target pistol with it for years and also used it daily in machine shop

I'd love to buy it in bulk (trico 111) for my ultrasonic tank cleaner.

/ Best uses for chlorinated brake cleaners #10  
When I used to change my own brake pads (never changed rotors), I'd just blow dust away with an air gun. Only using brake cleaner now for stuff that I need really clean.