Best way to clean wood deck

/ Best way to clean wood deck #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
I have an uncovered wood deck at my hunting cabin. I was at the cabin this past weekend. The deck is way overdue a good cleaning and waterproof stain job. The wood is standard 5/4 treated planks. I have read that a 50/50 bleach/water solution is a good way to clean prior to staining. I probably will add a little TSP to the mixture. Does that sound like a good solution for cleaning the wood? Unfortunately, I don't own a pressure washer, so I will just be brooming it on and rinsing it off. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

/ Best way to clean wood deck #2  
I think 50-50 is too strong. I'd do 1 part bleach to 3 parts water maximum. Probably 1 to 4 would be fine too. Let it sit 10 minutes and rinse. If you want, use a brush (I like to use an old push broom) to scrub some before/while rinsing. Be sure and wear suitable clothes that you don't mind with spots. Use a garden pump-up sprayer to apply the solution. If 1 to 3 doesn't work, add more bleach, but I'd bet you'll be happy with the weaker solution. After it thoroughly drys, you can add stain, but good drying takes a couple of days, so waiting until the next weekend is a good plan for staining the deck.

/ Best way to clean wood deck #3  
I have had great success with oxiclean. I've found it much faster and more consistent than bleach.

/ Best way to clean wood deck #4  
Why not rent a pressure washer for the day?

/ Best way to clean wood deck #5  
I have an uncovered wood deck at my hunting cabin. I was at the cabin this past weekend. The deck is way overdue a good cleaning and waterproof stain job. The wood is standard 5/4 treated planks. I have read that a 50/50 bleach/water solution is a good way to clean prior to staining. I probably will add a little TSP to the mixture. Does that sound like a good solution for cleaning the wood? Unfortunately, I don't own a pressure washer, so I will just be brooming it on and rinsing it off. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.
Two tractors?
No pressure washer?
Sounds like time to buy one!
If you've a deck over 30 x 15 it will sure help.
I've a deck at my home in Virginia which is about 16x12, I've done that years ago with a push broom several times. I've also done it more recently with my Northern Tools gas powered 3,000 PSI washer. Overkill but done in minutes.

Last year I did the pool deck of the house we just bought. I borrowed my MIL's little Karcher PW, 1600 PSI. I would have never finished with just a push broom. The deck had not been done for years and some places were so bad that when sprayed it came off like a black crust. It still took many hours.
I cursed myself for not bringing my Northern Tools 3,000 PSI washer.

/ Best way to clean wood deck #6  
We use a pressure washer and then a good deck stain. The wood now looks like brand spanking new. :thumbsup:

/ Best way to clean wood deck #7  
I have had great success with oxiclean. I've found it much faster and more consistent than bleach.

How was it mixed and used?

Bruce

/ Best way to clean wood deck #8  
Do yourself a favor and try this stuff Shop Olympic 2.5-Gallon Deck Cleaner at Lowes.com .I was skeptical of these products but this stuff is top notch it really works and a clean wood will hold stain much better.
I was told pressure washers drive the contamnents into the pores of the wood plus the wood will be full of little grain hairs when its all finished.try the deck cleaner and follow the directions on the bottle trust me it makes the wood look brand new i wouldnt stain mine without it again.

/ Best way to clean wood deck #9  
Roll up your pant legs, get a Holystone, and a bucket of salt water.

Get down on your knees and start working the deck with the Holystone. Then wash with the salt water. Worked wonder's for many a Navy Ship as well as private ones.:thumbsup:

/ Best way to clean wood deck #10  
I have a Western Red Cedar fence that is untreated, it had black and green mold and mildew. I researched the commercial fence and deck cleaners and the active ingredient in all of them is the same active ingredient in household bleach. I used bleach full strength from a pump sprayer, sprayed directly onto the dry wood. Within seconds the mold and mildew turned white and I used a hose to rinse it off, that was about 5 or 6 years ago and it still looks good. Depending on how much mold and mildew you have will determine how much bleach you use, adding TSP will help in removing any dirt just make sure that the TSP is completely dissolved in water before you use it (hot water works best). Rinse thoroughly and let dry completely before applying any sealer or stain.