Betstco FH-EFGC155 Flail, New Hammers But Problem With Cut.

/ Betstco FH-EFGC155 Flail, New Hammers But Problem With Cut. #1  

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E, John Deere 756, John Deere X585, John Deere 332
Ok, so I have replaced all of the hammers with new ones. I used the Titan 3.5" ones since they are about 3-4 bucks cheaper per hammer than Betstco ones and look good.
Tested on my test field which is about 5-6 inch grass. Overall the cut was ok, flail cut set at about 3 inches, but I discovered an issue. I know hammers are not the best for grasses!
On the non belt/drive side of the flail, right hand side as sitting on the tractor, it is leaving an uncut strip.

It is a little hard to see in the picture but the arrows try to show the strip the flail is leaving.
I made several passes and the strip is there on all passes. it is consistent also.

Went back to the garage and inspected under the flail. Nothing out of the ordinary. Hammers all on correctly.

I cut this same field with my JD flail and it does a great job. It uses the scoop style blades so it is a bit different but no strips or other odd stuff.

Thanks for any ideas or things to check out. I just don't know why it leaves this strip on one side. The rest of the width of each pass is pretty good.

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

/ Betstco FH-EFGC155 Flail, New Hammers But Problem With Cut. #2  
need a pic of the action side.

/ Betstco FH-EFGC155 Flail, New Hammers But Problem With Cut.
   / Betstco FH-EFGC155 Flail, New Hammers But Problem With Cut. #4  
where the hammers are

/ Betstco FH-EFGC155 Flail, New Hammers But Problem With Cut. #5  
Is one of the hammers on backwards?
I noticed with mine this year where I make only one pass, there are two strips, where the tires lay down the grass and it doesn't get cut.

Is one of the hammers on backwards?
I noticed with mine this year where I make only one pass, there are two strips, where the tires lay down the grass and it doesn't get cut.
My first thought was I put a hammer on backwards but that's not it.

/ Betstco FH-EFGC155 Flail, New Hammers But Problem With Cut. #8  
   / Betstco FH-EFGC155 Flail, New Hammers But Problem With Cut. #10  
Maybe one or 2 of the hammers are not swinging freely. Check you didn't over tighten them and that they all swing smoothly. You probably thought of that but throwing it out there in case.