Better Buy Tires NOW!!!!

/ Better Buy Tires NOW!!!! #1  

DIRTROAD

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF231, MF240, CAT D4K2
I think we might see a significant increase in the price of tires in the not too distant future:

China Condemns U.S. Tariffs on Tires as 'Protectionism' - Political News - FOXNews.com

/ Better Buy Tires NOW!!!! #2  
Fortunately, I bought:

4 tires for toyhauler (redneck hunting lodge)
4 tires for my pickup
4 tires for my wife's car

all in the last 6 weeks.

I wasn't thinking it was fortunate at the time, but it seems like a good move now.

/ Better Buy Tires NOW!!!! #3  
You sound like me Curly Dave. I bought 4 tires for my truck in May, 4 tires for my boat trailer in May, and 4 tires for my car hauler in August. Sounds like we keep them in business.

Chris

/ Better Buy Tires NOW!!!! #4  
Come on, just because the tires will be Union made what makes you think they will cost more? Why just look at the American Automobile Industry the American made cars were cheaper and of better quality!!!!!!!! and they are still going strong with Tax Payer money. Give it a couple of years and we will be able to purcahse Tax Payer Tires on our new American Made Tax Payer Automobile.

/ Better Buy Tires NOW!!!! #5  
wait for it. It's called trickle down effect.:( will could see higher prices.

/ Better Buy Tires NOW!!!! #6  
Well folks, we complain about losing American jobs and manufacturing....but want cheap imports. :eek:

I can't say about the squabble going on, but if we keep buying Chinese stuff, there will be no jobs left to pay for it.

Ken

/ Better Buy Tires NOW!!!! #7  
Here is the American problem: we want to have a job that pays a very good wage. Thats fine everyone wants to make a good living. Here is where the problem comes into play, we want the good paying job but we want to buy stuff cheap. You can not have it both ways. The cheap stuff is usally imported, and the more costly stuff is made in the USA.

I feel that America has to wake up and see that we are the ones at fault. If we want to make the big money, we have to turn around and spend the big money on things we build here at home.

Alot of the imported things we buy are owned by an American company, but made overseas where labor and raw materials is cheaper.

Rember the old saying you get what you pay for.

/ Better Buy Tires NOW!!!! #8  
Well folks, we complain about losing American jobs and manufacturing....but want cheap imports. :eek:

I can't say about the squabble going on, but if we keep buying Chinese stuff, there will be no jobs left to pay for it.

Ken

Ya we do complain about American job, and along with that complaint you hear us complaining that Unions and the environmentalists make out products uncompetitive.

Is there a reason we have to pay union workers money to do nothing? IS there a reason you have to have five union people do the work of one Chinese worker, you know a union electrician to plug the machine in, a union machinist to turn the handle, a union laborer to pick up a box, a union operator to operate the machine, and a union supervisor to watch it all.

I went to at trade show recently and had to have a union electrician plug in my lap top into a power strip and it cost me $110.00.

You will never win a union argument with that kind of lunacy.

/ Better Buy Tires NOW!!!! #9  
I went to at trade show recently and had to have a union electrician plug in my lap top into a power strip and it cost me $110.00.

Oh geesh! :(

There is a difference between supporting American jobs and supporting union demands.

/ Better Buy Tires NOW!!!! #10  
Shorty after the US imposed tariffs we had this news announcement. I beleive I read something similiar in the old auto contracts, no job loss, increased pension benefits, millions being lost, etc.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. workers approved a new contract that will prevent the potential closing of a half-dozen plants in the next four years, union leaders said Saturday.

The United Steelworkers said the agreement covers about 10,300 workers. Voting concluded at seven plants late Friday.

The contract requires minimum staffing levels at six of the seven Goodyear plants and prevents the company from shifting production to any facility not represented by the steelworkers union. It also calls for Goodyear, based in Akron, Ohio, to invest $600 million at the plants, keeping them up-to-date.

"This agreement reflects the commitment of Goodyear and the USW to continue to work together to achieve our common goal of world-class competitiveness," said Richard Kramer, Goodyear's chief operating officer.

The company planned to discuss the deal with investors during a Monday conference call.

The new contract includes wage and benefit increases, improved pensions for some workers, and continuation of previous cost-of-living provisions for all workers, the union said.

The deal protects factories in Akron, Ohio; Gadsden, Ala.; Buffalo, N.Y.; Topeka, Kan.; Danville, Va.; and Fayetteville, N.C.

A plant in Union City, Tenn., which employs about 1,700 workers, was the only one not protected. A local agreement negotiated in April provided for as many as 600 workers there to receive buyouts, the union said.

The Tennessee factory has been severely hurt by the economic downturn and an influx of cheap tires from China, Steelworkers spokesman Gerald Dickey said. Chinese imports represented almost 17 percent of the U.S. tire market last year.

President Barack ***** has ordered steep, additional U.S. tariffs on Chinese tires for three years, including 35 percent in the first year. The increases come on top of the current 4 percent tariff.

The Steelworkers union hopes the additional tariffs will bring work back to the Tennessee plant, Dickey said. If that happens and the economy turns around, negotiators there could seek the protected status enjoyed by other plants, he said.

Goodyear, the biggest U.S.-based tiremaker and third largest globally, has said the agreement will improve the company's productivity and flexibility.

The company operates more than 60 plants in 25 countries and has nearly 70,000 employees.

Goodyear reported in July that it lost $221 million in the second quarter as upheaval in the U.S. auto industry and the global recession cut sales 25 percent from a year ago. The company launched 19 new products in the second quarter, cut costs by another $200 million and eliminated 1,700 jobs.