Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts
Ha… sounds like christmas vacation……
If you are bold and determined the odds of pulling it off increase.

Of course property crimes being a low priority is a breeding ground.

I think my neighbor may have lost her converter… sounded like no muffler this morning…

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts
Local small town caught several in the act of theft... armed and with sawed off cats in get away vehicle.

These guys usually work in pairs and carry guns...

One case the thief got away on foot but police nabbed get away car who said why I'm U being stopped but 3 cats in back seat...

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #103  
At least we're trying to do something about it. This takes effect July 1.

Same in Spokane. It has got so bad they passed a law that requires all information related to the Cat and to prove you are the owner if you try to sell to a pawn or metal recycler. Glad the local people got a law passed for once. Sale of catalytic converters to recyclers have dropped dramatically already.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #104  
My state just passed a law which goes into effect on Aug 8. New anti-catalytic converter theft law coming soon to Maine

Dealers and recyclers are required to engrave the VIN # onto all cats. Now the thieves will have to drive to New Hampshire to get rid of them. And spend the money on some tax free booze for the ride back.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #105  
Those type of laws stopped the manhole cover thefts dead in their tracks in my area.
To the joy of local drivers and insurance companies.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #106  
Those type of laws stopped the manhole cover thefts dead in their tracks in my area.
To the joy of local drivers and insurance companies.
That's good to know. 👍

It must be a rude awakening to be driving to work in the early AM and drop a tire into an open manhole. :eek:

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #107  
That's good to know. 👍

It must be a rude awakening to be driving to work in the early AM and drop a tire into an open manhole. :eek:
There were some REALLY po'd people around that time.
Some nasty calls to local talk radio LOL

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #108  
My little Texas county is seeing an increase in thief, I am so frustrated some low life stole my 1978 Beaver III ,4/wd/3 cylinder,diesel. It wasn't running at the time and front tire was unfixable , have many more projects going on, tractor ran, but it wouldn't shift, I took shifter apart ,have them soaking, me and my brother were going to work on tractor this winter,he is certified diesel mechanic with several years working as tractor mechanic also. They drug the little tractor the marks were clear, sheriff's office took report, I would bet it went to a scrap yard.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #109  
Uhhh, yeah. "Surprise" might go down as the understatement of the week. :eek:
I read some cities started tack welding the covers in place as a deterrent.
Of course with today's scrap prices for steel around 2¢/lb hardly worth the trouble...
My cat went out on my pu so I cut it opened cleaned it out welded it back together, the thieves would get a surprise,we have had quiet a few stole even on school vehicles.Oh cat not required for inspection here.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #110  
Still sucks to fix pipe even if it was a fake. Just fixed one on a Class C motor home, my daughter go a good deal after the cats was stolen while it was parked. No cat requirement here either, actually drove it home with the open pipe, no worse than the trucks with straight pipes around.