Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #51  
drug addicts... actually, i was thinking a person can steal a catalytic converter by themselves in Oregon. im surprised they dont have to let the store employee remove it for them ( like pumping gas).

i ate too much chocolate today......hyper

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #53  
I now know 12 that have had Catalytic Converters stolen.

It takes less than a minute with cordless tools.

Mostly Japanese vehicles… last night my friends Toyota pickup…

Last week a Prius.

Also reports on high end European makes.

Driveway, street, parking garage, shopping mall… easy targets.

Next to smash and grab it’s the fastest growing auto related crime.

Just one more thing to watch out for and the aftermarket has responded with a skid plate type of protection…
Would/could stop in a heartbeat if law enforcement would set down hard on the buyers paying good money for these stolen items. Apparently they have no fear (neither the buyers of stolen goods or those thieves stealing them) so the car owners end up suffering the loss.

Other solution, is to have a shop drop in a replacement tube to connect the two pipes. Also put on a bracket that the converter doesn't drop out when the ends are sawn through (like the skid plate mentioned).

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #54  
I read somewhere that you can buy a shield that covers it and the entry and exit pipes so they cannot saw it off..

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #55  
No state inspection here, but i imagine messing with the exhaust would mess with the computer.
None here, either, but there are a few counties in Indiana that do. Some over by Chicago and some other as I recall.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #56  
Cats are stolen for three precious metals inside them. Can't remember what they are at the moment. (Platinum, rhodium and another?)
I just bought a truck cheap because the cats were stolen. Ended up costing more than I expected to replace the whole front pipe with
aftermarket cats. The original pipes were cut in such a way I couldn't fit cheap universal cats.

A few years ago here people were stealing manhole covers right off the street, causing big surprises to local drivers.

In the end, the huge scrap dealers began refusing to pay for manhole covers. Problem stopped almost overnight.

P.S. the guy I bought the truck from had a used Y pipe with the truck but it didn't fit.
I cut the cats off and got $100 each for them and put it toward the new Y pipe I had to buy.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #57  
A few years ago here people were stealing manhole covers right off the street, causing big surprises to local drivers.

In the end, the huge scrap dealers began refusing to pay for manhole covers. Problem stopped almost overnight.
Uhhh, yeah. "Surprise" might go down as the understatement of the week. :eek:
I read some cities started tack welding the covers in place as a deterrent.
Of course with today's scrap prices for steel around 2¢/lb hardly worth the trouble...

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #58  
Precious metals in Catalytic Converters and today's spot price

Rhodium Price per Ounce$14,100.00
Palladium Price Per Ounce$1,940.00
Platinum Prices Per Ounce
$1,023.00

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #59  
Rhodium is a silver-white metallic element that is highly reflective and resistant to corrosion. It is considered the rarest and most valuable precious metal in the world — well above gold or silver.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #60  
I'm surprised hoods don't have locks...I know they would only slow them down a bit.
Everything which I've owned in the last 40 years or so did.
No state inspection here, but i imagine messing with the exhaust would mess with the computer.
The O2 sensors really don't like it.