beware wheel spacer kit with 54" deck

/ beware wheel spacer kit with 54" deck #1  

Gittyup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739
I just bought an X739. I got the wheel spacer kit for the wider stance and just in case I need chains. Went to install the kit and instructions said that spacers have to be removed to use the 54" deck. Instructions are dated 2008. And so would be current only for the 54C deck, which isn't used on the X700 series anymore. So, it's not 100% that the spacers won't work with the new 54HC. Dealer knows nothing about it. I didn't want to chance doing all the work to just find out they don't work. I returned them for credit. If someone finds out for sure, yes or no, whether the spacers work with 54HC, please post to educate the rest of us. For now, until we know for sure: buyer beware.

/ beware wheel spacer kit with 54" deck #2  
I just bought an X739. I got the wheel spacer kit for the wider stance and just in case I need chains. Went to install the kit and instructions said that spacers have to be removed to use the 54" deck. Instructions are dated 2008. And so would be current only for the 54C deck, which isn't used on the X700 series anymore. So, it's not 100% that the spacers won't work with the new 54HC. Dealer knows nothing about it. I didn't want to chance doing all the work to just find out they don't work. I returned them for credit. If someone finds out for sure, yes or no, whether the spacers work with 54HC, please post to educate the rest of us. For now, until we know for sure: buyer beware.

Good to know!

In all honesty, since you have the AWD system and AWS, you will probably never need chains. Invest in suitcase weights and forget about chains with that bad boy machine!

/ beware wheel spacer kit with 54" deck #3  
Probably similar to the situation with 3x20 series with 72" 7-Iron MMM. When the front wheels are mounted in the WIDE position the inside wheel in a full lock turn contacts the mower deck.

Latest update found on site appears to be 2011 - see below:

This wheel spacer kit is available for use on X729 and X749 Ultimate Tractors when installing tire chains with the standard 26x12-12 HDAP tires:

The wider 26x12-12 tires, used in combination with four-wheel steering, on the X729 and X749 Tractors do not allow adequate clearance for the tire chains, so the wheel spacer kit is required
Spacers simply bolt to the axle hub and the wheels to the spacer.
BM22725 may also be used in all applications where the BM18021 wheel spacer kit has been used.
BM22725 has additional hardware and an updated operator's manual compared to the BM18021 wheel spacer kit.
BM18021 was developed for use on the 400 Series (425, 445, and 455) Four-Wheel Steer Tractors for installing tire chains on the 4WS models when using 23x10.50-12 rear tires.
The wheel spacer kit must be removed for use with the 54-in. Mower Deck on X700 Tractors
Overall tractor width is increased by 1.5 in. (38 mm) with the wheel spacer kit.

Code Bundle Description
BM22725 Wheel spacer kit
Note: Required to provide clearance for tire chains on 425 AWS, 445 AWS, 455 AWS, X729, and X749 Tractors.

Last Updated : 17-May-2011

/ beware wheel spacer kit with 54" deck
Good to know!

In all honesty, since you have the AWD system and AWS, you will probably never need chains. Invest in suitcase weights and forget about chains with that bad boy machine!

I wanted the stability that the extra width would give me. Bought the machine so I wouldn't have to mess with chains anymore. Otherwise, it has no advantage over my 425. I have 8 suitcase weights and tried it out in the snow last week. Seems to have excellent traction with just 6 weights (waiting to buy a bar that will hold all 8 weights). But, would have loved to have had the extra width. I guess no big deal. I will just get my $169 back.

Yeah the dealer ran across those statements when I brought to his attention what was printed in the installation instructions. What isn't clear is whether this applies to the new in 2013 54HC decks. Gauge wheels are significantly different. I decided I didn't want to go to the trouble to test it out and just returned them.

/ beware wheel spacer kit with 54" deck #6  
Won't the extra width cause you to pack down snow or do you have an extra wide blower/blade.

Hasn't been a problem on my 425. Anyway. Moot point since I returned them for refund.