Bi Directional Log Splitter

/ Bi Directional Log Splitter #1  

clutchcargo

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L5040HST
I have been wanting to build a log splitter that will split in both directions without the split wood having to be handled twice. Once when loading unsplit logs and once after they have been split. That will require the push block to move and the wedges to be fixed at either end. Offloading tables at both ends will help to keep the split wood out of the way. I also want a higher splitting platform so I won't be bent over all the time.

I am calling it the **** Erectus Double Cross Splitter:laughing:

Any suggestions/ideas are welcome!:confused:

Any now here is the beginning of the project: the main beam and cylinder mount.

I started with a Prince Fortress 4.5" x 24" Cylinder with 2.25" rod diameter because I think the cross tube welded cylinder is the strongest and has a 3000 psi rating. It also has a shorter collapsed length that will keep the overall width of the splitter down.

The Beam/Push Block carrier is a 6" x 4" x 1/2" rectangular tube that has a 7" x 5" x 1/4" rectangular tube sliding across it. There is 3/16" UHMW nylon sleeve between the two to prevent galling of the tubes and "slop" in the system. I will post more pics as the build continues.

BTW the splitter in the background is the temporary hydraulic power.pack.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• erectus 4-16-11 003.jpg
    erectus 4-16-11 003.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 592
  • erectus 4-16-11 010.jpg
    erectus 4-16-11 010.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 626
  • erectus 4-16-11 001.jpg
    erectus 4-16-11 001.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 419
  • erectus 4-16-11 005.jpg
    erectus 4-16-11 005.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 722
   / Bi Directional Log Splitter #2  
and off we go with yet another interesting build thread. I look forward..

/ Bi Directional Log Splitter #3  
Interesting concept but I am a little lost on function. Can you explain how you are going to split in both directions.

TIA

ROy

/ Bi Directional Log Splitter #4  
check out the split-fire log splitter -- it is bi-directional. They have a video clip showing the unit in action.

/ Bi Directional Log Splitter #5  
Just thinking out loud, are you going to mount the cyl inside of the smaller tube, and cut a slit in the top tube for the wedge to slide through? Will your cyl fit inside the smaller tube?

/ Bi Directional Log Splitter
Stacey the problem with the Splitfire, Powersplit and others is the wedge moves and not the foot/push blocks, The split pieces have to be thrown away from the splitter or end up by your feet and have to be moved. My design will push the split wood out an extension table away from both sides of the splitter.

Just thinking out loud, are you going to mount the cyl inside of the smaller tube, and cut a slit in the top tube for the wedge to slide through? Will your cyl fit inside the smaller tube?

JJ
No as the pics show the larger tube moves and the smaller tube is stationary. the push block will be attached to the moving tube through two slots in the table.

Interesting concept but I am a little lost on function. Can you explain how you are going to split in both directions.

TIA

ROy

Roy

I am not that proficient at explaining my concept. Just keep watching this post and the pics should answer your questions.

/ Bi Directional Log Splitter #9  
Just playing with some figures. If you use a 16 GPM pump, or flow from a tractor, the speed of the cyl will be 6.1 sec to extend, and 4.8 sec to retract. What is the actual GPM you will be using?

/ Bi Directional Log Splitter #10  
Roy,

I believe he is going to use a push block and two splitting wedges on each end. That is just the opposite of the other two way splitters.

With a table on each end, the total length will be longer than most splitters.

If his pump is capable of 3000 psi, the splitting force will be around 23.85 tons in extend mode, and 17.89 ton in the retract mode

Last edited: