Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop
#4,951  
Any idea what the oddball on the left is made for?

Probably a tank valve wrench for compressed gases.

IMG_9718.jpg

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,952  
Yeah, okay, but why would a regular wrench not work for that? :unsure:

#4,953  
Yeah, okay, but why would a regular wrench not work for that? :unsure:

Absolutely. An adjustable would work fine. Especially since they would have relatively wide jaws

Welding shops usually use tank wrenches as they have the sizes that fit tank valves as well as regulator hose fitting. They would probably leave one with the machine.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,954  
I had a tank wrench that burned in my shop fire. Memory says it had six different sizes on one wrench. But I've slept.

#4,955  
This is a modern day version ...

IMG_9781.jpg

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,956  
Update. New mock-up. I decided if the small vise was going to be elevated it may as well have its own little table for keeping stuff off the welding table…

View attachment 722746

View attachment 722747
I was just going to rain on your parade a bit and comment that the mounting plate looked a little thin... at least aesthetically but now that you have incorporated a table that appears thicker anyways... I'm digging it!

#4,957  
I was just going to rain on your parade a bit and comment that the mounting plate looked a little thin... at least aesthetically but now that you have incorporated a table that appears thicker anyways... I'm digging it!

Agreed. Thanks, Mark!

#4,958  
I got a Made in USA Craftsman this morning. Rock Island made this for Craftsman pre WWII.

IMG_9780.jpg

4 1/2" jaws but 70 pounds. Nice lines.

The swivel was frozen and someone torched a hole in the slide. I welded the hole closed cleaned and lubed.

IMG_9782.jpg

IMG_9787.jpg

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,959  
   / Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,960  
Nice resto', on that one. (y) I'd call the jaw faces, in a word, 'crisp'. (better grip, easy on the work-piece) btw, Can we agree that while a glass half-full is ... twice as big as it needs to be, not much compares to a vise that is? :sneaky: That said, a vise ain't Gibraltar despite often being treated as if is were. (C'mon, we've all done it, tipped the bench over.)

I might should whip out and clean up (again) my yard sale Columbian that's on a 2" hitch adapter, not that it's something to brag about but it's in great shape and I got it for Terry money, just in US. The jaws are 6" wide and open to 8" with some Acme still showing past the nut.