Big boss at work

/ Big boss at work #21  
Without any grief, should take me less than an hour to go pods to wheels. Putting pods on is harder to do, than taking them off. All the wheels drive when in 6x6 mode but when in 4x4 its just the rears. Thats an overly complicated answer. The rear axles drive, all the time.

ArlyA, when you install the pods do you perform the job alone, or have an extra set of hands. I'm on my second year of install for my X1100. I've installed and removed on my own, and your right much easier to remove. I still haven't gotten the "trick" to get lugs to line up perfectly with having to lift an end of the pod one side or the other to get it quite right. It's a challenge. I seem to perform this task when my sons aren't around, I should plan better. I'd say to get my four on, is a 4 hour job minimum, maybe five. Any good tips?

/ Big boss at work #22  
Great pictures thanks for sharing

/ Big boss at work
ArlyA, when you install the pods do you perform the job alone, or have an extra set of hands. I'm on my second year of install for my X1100. I've installed and removed on my own, and your right much easier to remove. I still haven't gotten the "trick" to get lugs to line up perfectly with having to lift an end of the pod one side or the other to get it quite right. It's a challenge. I seem to perform this task when my sons aren't around, I should plan better. I'd say to get my four on, is a 4 hour job minimum, maybe five. Any good tips?

Yes, I normally do it along. I'll guess your having grief getting the UTV hubs rotated to get them lined up with the pod sprocket holes? For the 1st pod mounted, I use a bar on the studs as a lever when the machines transmission is in neutral, rotate the hubs a bit. Mounting the 2nd one is of course more difficult since your axle is now anchored with the 1st pod you installed. To help with this, we pick that attached pod up a bit, them you should be able to rotate it some which will rotate the hub you are working on. I've done this so many times, me giving directions might not be the best since I do it without thinking. East30, feel free to PM me and we can talk on the phone about your pods mounting grief.

Attachments

• pods in bus shed.jpg
    pods in bus shed.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
   / Big boss at work #24  
........For the 1st pod mounted, I use a bar on the studs as a lever when the machines transmission is in neutral, rotate the hubs a bit. ....

I think that statement there might be helpful. Having the pod in front of the hub, it may work better with a stick of rebar so I can be in front of the pod while turning it watching. I've been reaching over it, grabbing the studs by hand and giving it slow turns without being able to see it line up. That alone my help next fall. Thank you.

/ Big boss at work
More photos of our 6x6 at work. What would we do without it?

Attachments

• P1080050.jpg
    P1080050.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 110
  • P1080031.jpg
    P1080031.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 114
  • P1070923.jpg
    P1070923.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 110
   / Big boss at work
With enough snow in our forecast to warrant pushing it, I started to put pods back on da boss today. 1st photo is what it normally looks like. Of course the front pods go on next. The rear ones weight about 100lbs each. Fronts are feather light at just 70!

Attachments

• P1080172.jpg
    P1080172.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 106
  • P1080176.jpg
    P1080176.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 110
  • P1080173.jpg
    P1080173.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 113
   / Big boss at work #27  
Sounds like a lot of work

/ Big boss at work
Sounds like a lot of work

I assume you mean getting them back on?? Its not really a bad job if you can recall the proper steps and should be able do it in an hour or less. I store the front pods on a shelf, which are a bugger to get down by yourself...... So I have the spousal unit help with those. With pods on the floor, you can just roll the tracks to move them.

We got snow and wind here today so the front pods and plow go on next!

/ Big boss at work #29  
More photos of our 6x6 at work. What would we do without it?

Thats a cute lil machine, but after working outside all my life, I prefer the UTV with the cab.

/ Big boss at work
Pods got installed and out the door I rolled to pack down the yard down. :) First photo shows where the front pods are stored The spouse helped me get them down. Then the front stabilization brackets. One mounted and other off. Then some snow packing. Get the plow on next, which is a 60 second job.

Attachments

• P1080183.jpg
    P1080183.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 90
  • P1080185.jpg
    P1080185.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 93
  • P1080187.jpg
    P1080187.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 94
  • P1080190.jpg
    P1080190.jpg