Big Cars are killing Americans

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #581  
Good question that only time will tell.

In I.T. I used to tell my boss he could redundancy himself into the poorhouse as to system up-time and high availability. They had to come up with a level of loss that was acceptable. In their case, how much data could be lost for how much time VS no down time.

In the yard of the house that my father built and I spent my first 24 years in, there were ivy beds cutting across the yard, dividing it into different lawns. As kids, we knew not to run through the ivy beds because each one had a 4' wide by 1' deep swale in it (something good to know when you're playing tag with friends), and you'd trip and fall. I asked my dad why there were ditches in the ivy. He said to divert water in the even of a 100 year flood. Then he explained what a 100 year flood was.

Since that time we've had several 100 year floods. People often read a lot into that term "100 year flood". This explains it better than I could. It pretty much matches what my father told me.

I have been through 100 year floods in 1969, 1973, 1977, 1986, 1995? 2000?
That's a lot of 100 year floods.

The (approx) 2000 hundred year flood was interesting because it happened at a new construction site I worked on. The 100 year zone map in developers trailer showed this lot was originally in 100 year flood plain, It had been remapped!

The 100 year floods in 1969, 1973, and 1977 floods all happened in the same location!!!!!

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #582  
Re: Being near a semi when a tire blows.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #583  
Neither.
The lighted vanity mirror on the driver side should be illegal.
Nobody should be looking into a lighted mirror while driving.
It should only be used as a sunshade
Before those, it was common to see them using the center rear view mirror, re-adjusted.

Bruce

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #584  
No one should be looking in the glove box while driving...
Ad it to the list of items to make illegal

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #586  
They seem to be short on lane markings, signs & signals, and speed limits. That said, they also seem to have wide urban/semi-urban roads and wonderfully smooth pavement everywhere.

btw, if I had to drive in Russian or even urban traffic I'd have hooked up my dash-cam by now.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #587  
They seem to be short on lane markings, signs & signals, and speed limits. That said, they also seem to have wide urban/semi-urban roads and wonderfully smooth pavement everywhere.

btw, if I had to drive in Russian or even urban traffic I'd have hooked up my dash-cam by now.
I notice that in all those video's They really crash them too. The bump shop business over there must be real good.

Have one of those built in to my Magellan but I never turn it on. Maybe I should.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #588  
I’m not sure if I’d want to collide with. Tesla or any of the other gigantic battery cars in the road now days.
In many cases the battery itself weighs a ton.
not to mention how they can catch fire..very hot fire.