Big Cars are killing Americans

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #562  
Windscreen is a sore spot today. We were driving across the Metroplex on R.L. Thornton and a truck in one of the middle lanes starts dropping rocks, not gravel, not pebbles, not sand. He was 50-100 yards away and we were still showered with rock. One hit low and started running cracks right away.
Here in Michigan insurance covers glass breakage with no deductible and Safe Lite makes house calls too. Do it in your driveway.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #564  
Windscreen is a sore spot today. We were driving across the Metroplex on R.L. Thornton and a truck in one of the middle lanes starts dropping rocks, not gravel, not pebbles, not sand. He was 50-100 yards away and we were still showered with rock. One hit low and started running cracks right away.
Rocks kicked up by a tire are generally unavoidable. Insecure loads are caused by negligence. We have laws against the latter , which sometimes are even enforced. However, I lost a windshield in my Ranger a few years ago when gravel blew out of the pickup in front of me. His tailgate was closed and I didn't even realize what he was hauling until we both met a truck.

A coworker was headed up the highway a couple of years ago and hadn't cleaned the snow off his roof. It took out somebody's windshield, and my employer's insurance ended up paying for it.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #565  
Here in Michigan insurance covers glass breakage with no deductible and Safe Lite makes house calls too. Do it in your driveway.
You mean you are required to buy glass coverage? Full Coverage? I have at least a $1000 deductible on all my vehicles, and no full coverage on the ones that rarely (if ever) leave the property.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #566  
You mean you are required to buy glass coverage? Full Coverage? I have at least a $1000 deductible on all my vehicles, and no full coverage on the ones that rarely (if ever) leave the property.
Ditto here. The windshield in my Ranger (see above) was $200. It would have cost more than that to keep comprehensive on it.
As manufacturers put more and more crap in the glass though, it's going to be nearly impossible to replace them out of pocket.
Until then, I'll just keep turning my wipers on manually.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #567  
Insurance covers repairs for free. No fixing this one. It had 8-10 inch runners immediately. In hour or so it took to get to our destination, one crack went all the way from bottom to top. Another crack did a 90 degree turn toward the driver's side.

Wife just had hers replaced a month or two ago. Windscreens with sensors are expensive.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #568  
I carry a grand deductible as well but here, there is NO deductible for auto glass coverage. 100% covered.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #570  
I've had no less than 4 windshields replace, all right here in the driveway. 2 on my wife's van, one on my puddle jumper and one on her Suburban all from stones coming off the back of Michigan gravel haulers, mostly break up doubles.

Getting smacked with a gravel stone at speed is pretty scary in itself and we don't ever get close to ANY gravel hauler on the e-way but we have still been impacted.

If the drivers just exhibited some common sense and swept the tailgate lip off before going down the road, that would really mitigate the issue but most don't. so when motoring along and hitting one of the numerous potholes in Michigan roads (and that in itself is another subject for a different forum because it's political), the trailer jumps and off comes the stuff on the tailgate lip and that is where cracked windshields come from.

Back when I trucked, though I mostly hauled steel, we had a couple dumps and occasionally I ran one and hauled gravel or slag and the last thing I always did after locking the tailgate clamps was take my gloved hand and sweep of the lip of the box. Only takes a second and can save a motorist a lot of grief.

I see a lot of Michigan gravel haulers with the tailgate clamps not engaged as well. They are depending entirely on the air operated tailgate latches to hold the tailgate shut and that in itself is nothing but a lazy practice. If the air cylinder fails, the tailgate opens. The screw clamps are there for a reason and that reason is a second line of defense against the tailgate opening if the air cylinder fails.

Only takes maybe 45 seconds to unscrew them when dumping.

If I was a DOT officer and saw that, I'd be pulling them over and writing them up for an unsafe load. Probably get the portables out too as most of them are over gross in the first place.